News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Weather or not

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 7.57.14 AM.png

C'mon -- a white Christmas is one thing but could we turn the heat up a smidge -- Edmonton second-to-last because of Vancouver's sleet-fall (makes driving a helluva thing, esp. in North Van) Toronto first with Ottawa second and Winnipeg third.

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 7.35.00 AM.png

Edmonton wins and here is why (for those who believe that raw temperature is the better indicator of comfort) -- this from today's Ottawa Citizen. Winnipeg ties with Edmonton; Vancouver and Ottawa tie for third and Toronto comes in last with high humidity, and blowing snow.

I hear ya Ken. Last night my darling and I went out for Chinese to one of our favorite restaurants. As soon as I stepped outside I said to Laura, "I am going to change into my long sleeved shirt, it is a little chilly for short sleeves." She replied, "For a Canadian you are getting really soft." (but that is another subject). Long sleeves did the trick and we were good to go. Canada -- too cold, too windy, too humid, too rainy, too much snow... the differences are simply a matter of degrees (not just temperature). The point is that in Canada you have to accommodate the cold and make the best of it. I will continue to point out the differences -- a Yin and Yang comparison of sorts. In short, Canadians should stop making the weather a comparative thing and just turn it into a positive no matter the location.

^

“just turn it into a positive no matter the location” in the deep dark depths of winter is a lot easier to say and to live in southern california than the northern prairies. :)

at least april will be here soon enough and from there june will be just around the corner…

^

“just turn it into a positive no matter the location” in the deep dark depths of winter is a lot easier to say and to live in southern california than the northern prairies. :)

at least april will be here soon enough and from there june will be just around the corner…
I'll disagree with you there, Ken.

Embracing the winter and making the best out of it, instead of whining and longing for summer doesn't do much for anyone.

People are taught that winter, cold, snow, etc, are terrible and that summer, beaches, sun are good things, from such a tender age, that (almost) everyone ends up internalizing this and suffering unnecessarily.

Hell, few things are as beautiful as snow falling, or as the sight of fresh snow covering the hills and tree branches.
Ice hockey, Sledding, skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing ate some of the most fun and exciting sports.
The longer nights allow you to watch the skies and appreciate the stars for longer, either on naked eye or with a telescope. It also enhances the chances of seeing auroras, which are one of the most impressive phenomena one can see.

Not to say my personal preferences should be the norm, but I'll trade long, warm days and beaches for cold winter nights every single day. Personally, I loathe the summer, but well, if I have to live with bloody 16h+ of sun for months in a row, I might as well enjoy it the best I can and go do the stuff that only summers allow you to.

Life is too short to limit yourself to living only 6 months of the year.

i don’t mind the disagreement, i just don’t like the cold. it doesn’t stop me from living all 12 months of the year or enjoying what i can of the winter, particularly visually. i enjoy shovelling my walks the same as puttering in the garden. it’s the only exercise i get so it’s good for me that way but i am actually allergic to the cold (i break out in hives) and it’s not good for the copd. edmonton has two seasons - winter and not winter - and i love the city all year but i only love one of its seasons. the other one i put up with because that’s what you do for something you love.

Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 10.02.36 AM.png

Everyone in Vancouver get your lawn sprinklers out -- it hasn't rained for 2 days!!! At a balmy 3 degrees C (about 38 degrees on the old scale) #1 says the weather Gods. Edmonton and Winnipeg tie for second, windy Toronto blows into fourth place and Ottawa ties a bow on last place.

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 8.40.59 AM.png

Even though the thermometer went up the rating went down -- Edmonton in last place. Winnipeg and Ottawa tied for first, then windy Toronto, followed by rainy Vancouver (you can put your lawn sprinklers back in the shed V-ites).

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 8.35.17 AM.png

The Iceman Cometh -- Edmonton in last place with a cold snap inching closer, tied with Ottawa. Chilly Winnipeg and Windy Toronto tied for first place with Vancouver chalking up third -- the heavy Rain is back.

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 10.13.06 AM.png

Cold and windy with light snow does not a winner make -- Edmonton comes in dead last. The win goes to Ottawa followed by Vancouver, and a two-way tie for third between Toronto and Winnipeg.

Back