News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Weather or not

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 7.02.51 AM.png

Toronto wins this day followed by a tie between Edmonton and Ottawa. Winnipeg comes in fourth and Vancouver is dead last (the raining champion).

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 8.31.08 AM.png

Edmonton hit the bottom today; Toronto first with a tie for second between Ottawa and Winnipeg and Vancouver second to last -- still raining.

Just came across this thread and very much appreciate these daily updates. Please keep it up (even if it's looking like a rough few weeks to come here in Edmonton).

I think we may need to see a better weighting system. Van being +7 with a light rain and a 14 km/h wind is a helluva lot better than -19 and no precip.

But I get the point. Just want to complain bout something...

I think we may need to see a better weighting system. Van being +7 with a light rain and a 14 km/h wind is a helluva lot better than -19 and no precip.

But I get the point. Just want to complain bout something...
I'll take the -19 over the rain every single day. If I want water falling on my head, I'll go shower

It was raining here yesterday in Ojai, Cal. (rare occurrence) but it was +18C with a wind -- I did not like being outside. And I have experienced the cold on many occasions -- once when it was -60 fahrenheit with a wind chill when I lived in Cold Lake AB -- froze my nose between the car drop-off curbside and the front doors of the school (maybe 10 metres distant). -19 C (about -2 F) that is just about the temp. when the snow gets crunchy underfoot. You guys are getting too soft.

I think if we polled Van residents and Edmonton residents, the overwhelming majority of both would take Van's weather.

It's 15 degrees colder than the usual daytime high for December in Edmonton. Pretty fair to say it's a damn cold day today. Call me soft but this weather is absolutely miserable. Can't wait to have to put on four layers just to go for a 15 minute walk and *still* be freezing!!

I think the weighting system has some merit, as high winds and rain/snow or cloud coverage do contribute to the negation of a temperature. Today was really sunny with barely any wind, so it felt warmer (to me, at least) than I would have thought when I was outside. I wore appropriate layers and felt like I could be out there for a while. Based on my personal experiences, for example, -6 degrees with lots of sun and no wind is more pleasurable than, say, 3 degrees with grey/cloudy skies and high winds or snow falling. I think those factors are valid if the temperatures are within reasonable proximity to each other. As for -19 and sunny compared to 7 with rain and wind, does anyone really want to be outside for either of those? Probably not. It also depends on if it's heavy rain and for how long it lasts, but in my view, neither Vancouver nor Edmonton could be considered particularly "pleasurable" in the winter. I know almost anyone would say they would take Vancouver's winter weather over Edmonton's, but that's usually entirely based upon actual temperature, nothing else. So I think that those parameters (wind, sun, rain, snow, cloud coverage, etc.) can have some merit. I've heard Vancouver's humidity/rain coupled with grey overcast can make its actual temperature, though pleasant on its own, feel quite a bit colder. I've also heard people say even layers get cut through by the cold, similar to Toronto with their humidity and wind. I find if you dress appropriately enough here, you can stay warm. We are one of the sunniest cities in Canada, after all, and we don't typically see winds as high as other cities (Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver, etc.). I personally don't know if I can deal with how much rain and grey overcast is prevalent in Vancouver, but again, it's all about preference!

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 7.39.25 AM.png

Colder than a witch's *** (my father used to say), Edmonton in the coldrums comes in dead last. Barely warmer but with other mittigating factors weather-wise Winnipeg takes the lead, followed by windy, rainy Toronto with Ottawa and Vancouver tied for third.

Back