News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Warehouse District Park

I
'As per the second part, I think I'm in the minority of opinion when it comes to rink space, I think there's not enough rinks in the downtown area simply for the fact that people are typically unwilling to walk more than a block or two with skates to get to an ice surface. Driving more than a few blocks is also impractical. Ice surfaces are the one go-to and staple outdoor amenity across the entire province that essentially guarantee year round usage. No matter how many places to skate we have have, there will always be people nearby ready to walk the short distance and use them - especially when thousands of residents move into the area.'

ICE District
City Hall
Leg
Victoria Park oval + skate way
Community rink at Rogers Place
Ice hockey at McCauley and Riverdale

If anything, we need an ODR Downtown or in Oliver.
ICE is an inward facing community servicing a handful of towers, Leg is definitely a place people can easily drive to and a good option for the community, City hall doesn't have much for immediate residency, Vic park is too far away, community rink is isolated, and Mccauley/Riverdale lack ease of access and are extremely far from the residents of the Warehouse Park.

We are detracting from my points regarding scale and scope of design elements, but I also definitely agree on Oliver and Downtown (especially around your old place) being good spots for a rink.

I

ICE is an inward facing community servicing a handful of towers, Leg is definitely a place people can easily drive to and a good option for the community, City hall doesn't have much for immediate residency, Vic park is too far away, community rink is isolated, and Mccauley/Riverdale lack ease of access and are extremely far from the residents of the Warehouse Park.

We are detracting from my points regarding scale and scope of design elements, but I also definitely agree on Oliver and Downtown (especially around your old place) being good spots for a rink.
I’d love to see Oliver get a real community league hall, rink and playground that a community of this population deserves. But aside from a rink like that, I agree with Ian, we have a ton of skating in the Core. Hawrelak could be added (although closed soon) as a “destination” skating place…which most central ones are as well.

I want this park to have a playground that will draw people to the core alongside serving locals. I feel like that’s such an easy way to activate it and attract families & kids. The current proposal is barely worthy of a new suburb “playground” built just to check a box for selling spec homes.

I’d love to see Oliver get a real community league hall, rink and playground that a community of this population deserves. But aside from a rink like that, I agree with Ian, we have a ton of skating in the Core. Hawrelak could be added (although closed soon) as a “destination” skating place…which most central ones are as well.

I want this park to have a playground that will draw people to the core alongside serving locals. I feel like that’s such an easy way to activate it and attract families & kids. The current proposal is barely worthy of a new suburb “playground” built just to check a box for selling spec homes.
The playground elements of this park are comparable to some of the private developments I saw being built in New Westminster where towers had a playground atop the podium. Those playgrounds serviced 200-400 people.

I really hope what's on the CoE website is using some placeholder park elements as I truly feel they are inadequate for a park that will inevitably service 5000 immediate neighbors. And if pricing and CRL funding is a concern, build out some of the permanent design elements such as the dog park, basketball court, utilities/ducts, and then lay sod over the western portion of the park. Build it out over time to include a genuine ampitheatre, full scale playground, monuments to the history of the community, bistro, etc etc. At least that way, the park can evolve and develop with the community to address our ever-evolving needs and wants as they shift. Just don't cheap out and leave us with a permanent half-measure.

Reference ID: Job No 470589514-002
Description: To develop a Public Park, and construct a one story washroom pavilion accessory to the Public Park, Warehouse Park.
Plan B2 Blk 7 Lot 145
Applicant: GH3*
Create Date: 2023-04-27T14:20:14Z
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

green-grass-field-cloudy-blue-sky-13971079.jpg

I’d take that grass all day every day…it’s gonna be a brutal summer…..city is going to be the brownest we’ve ever seen

Back