News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Warehouse District Park

Great to see Edgar speaking on their Shift project…good to know it’s still on the books!

Design concepts released for Warehouse Park​

April 29, 2022

News media are invited to join the Warehouse Park design team for a site visit as concepts are shared for this transformative downtown Edmonton park.

Suzanne Young, Director, Open Space Planning & Design, City of Edmonton, Pat Hanson, Principal, gh3*, and Yannick Roberge, Landscape Architect Senior, Claude Cormier + Associés, will be on-site to discuss and share the design concepts for the park which will cover 1.47 hectares (more than two football fields) between 106 Street and 108 Street, just north of Jasper Avenue. The City is launching a three-week public engagement campaign on the design concepts for the park. Media will be able to speak with the project team and learn what’s planned for the park.

Date: Monday, May 2
Time: 11:30 a.m.
10135 – 107 Street (gravel lot on the east side of 107 Street)​

For more information:
edmonton.ca/WarehousePark

Media contact:
Claire Graff
Senior Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-974-1957​

I'm hoping for better weather

1651259287335.png

Alright guys, the day is here. Survey is up here.

Theres two videos for each concept here and here

The survey offers more than the renderings do in the amenity section. But I placed both pics here. So it seems like a rough draft general idea.
3909C41E-D375-47AD-A243-DE90C6CE05DB.png

1877CADD-6CBE-4A59-9D5F-02C8652012D7.png

I opt for water feature. Make it a fountain, have it light up multicolours. The noise from the water flowing is inviting. Where the building near the fountain is, id rather have a cafe than a washroom there. Washroom somewhere else. A cafe would make it more a inviting gathering space in my opinion.

I think this could have more potential in my opinion. Personally not in love with it. Wheres the tennis court?!

Alright guys, the day is here. Survey is up here.

Theres two videos for each concept here and here

The survey offers more than the renderings do in the amenity section. But I placed both pics here. So it seems like a rough draft general idea.
View attachment 397350
View attachment 397351
I opt for water feature. Make it a fountain, have it light up multicolours. The noise from the water flowing is inviting. Where the building near the fountain is, id rather have a cafe than a washroom there. Washroom somewhere else. A cafe would make it more a inviting gathering space in my opinion.

I think this could have more potential in my opinion. Personally not in love with it. Wheres the tennis court?!
I hope you're joking about the tennis court...

I filled out the survey. I definitely prefer the organic design over the formal design. The water feature is absolutely mandatory, essential and non-negotiable. The playground needs to look like a playground but that's just me looking back as a small child. I want the washrooms on the west side of the park. I want all the bells & whistles included. I also made sure to include the Nathan Fillion Civilian Pavilion in this survey and I even nominated Lauren Hunter to oversee it!

Will share my comments in the coming days but just wanted to share that an artist has been selected. The artist will work with the design team during the consultation process, rather than a separate process.

"As Edmonton’s newest downtown green space begins to take shape, we are excited to announce that an artist has been selected for the Warehouse Park public art project!
Working alongside the planning and development team for Warehouse Park will be artist Sanaz Mazinani. Sanaz Mazinani (she/her) is an artist, educator, and curator based in Toronto. Working across the disciplines of photography, sculpture, and large-scale multimedia installations, Mazinani creates informational objects that invite a rethinking of how we see, suspending the viewer between observation and knowledge.
“I was thrilled to see a new park being created within this amazing neighborhood,” says Mazinani. “I mean, how often do you get a chance to convert a parking lot into a park! This is a very exciting and ambitious project, and I was moved to learn that I could contribute towards building this remarkable park.”
Want to have your say in the design of Warehouse Park? Citizens are encouraged to take part in the City of Edmonton’s public engagement running from May 2-22, 2022 (edmonton.ca/WarehousePark)
Learn more about Sanaz Mazinani and how you can get involved in the Warehouse Park community engagement process on the YEGArts blog: "

Will share my comments in the coming days but just wanted to share that an artist has been selected. The artist will work with the design team during the consultation process, rather than a separate process.

"As Edmonton’s newest downtown green space begins to take shape, we are excited to announce that an artist has been selected for the Warehouse Park public art project!
Working alongside the planning and development team for Warehouse Park will be artist Sanaz Mazinani. Sanaz Mazinani (she/her) is an artist, educator, and curator based in Toronto. Working across the disciplines of photography, sculpture, and large-scale multimedia installations, Mazinani creates informational objects that invite a rethinking of how we see, suspending the viewer between observation and knowledge.
“I was thrilled to see a new park being created within this amazing neighborhood,” says Mazinani. “I mean, how often do you get a chance to convert a parking lot into a park! This is a very exciting and ambitious project, and I was moved to learn that I could contribute towards building this remarkable park.”
Want to have your say in the design of Warehouse Park? Citizens are encouraged to take part in the City of Edmonton’s public engagement running from May 2-22, 2022 (edmonton.ca/WarehousePark)
Learn more about Sanaz Mazinani and how you can get involved in the Warehouse Park community engagement process on the YEGArts blog: "

I absolutely love her work

I can't help but think that the park will be riddled with needles and drug addicts and mental disorders if its poorly maintained once it opens. I really hope the city and the province can get these things under control thats currently happening on the LRT and downtown by 2025.

I like the formal design; Beaver Hills is already "organic". There aren't enough formal gardens in Canada and every time I go to the Halifax Public Gardens I wish we had something like that in Edmonton. I also vote for the planted feature, which would last longer than the fountain. Paul Kane is amazing in the summer, but the empty pond all fall, winter and early spring isn't that nice.

Back