News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Warehouse District Park

This soon to be new park for Downtown Vancouver is a really good example of poor execution based on over consultation and trying to be everything to everyone.

smithe-and-richards-new-park-webpage-landing.jpg

This is what happens when someone gets carried away with structures. Our city might going off the rails with Touch the Water, but obviously we are not the only place to go off track.

If you are spending a ton on structures and concrete, maybe that looks impressive budget wise for some bureaucrat or politician to cite, but spending more doesn't always get you something better.

Some simple things like basketball courts are probably actually not that expensive, but a key is thoughtful placement and integration and of course a park needs maintenance and upkeep to stay nice, which sometimes if forgotten about in the budget process.

^^^^ Oh, I don't doubt that there is improvement -- but the real question eludes the end result -- what could have been done that is far superior to that which is there as a remedy.

@Stevey_G through the years I have provided many examples on this site (many different threads) of what could have been done in lieu of the meagre efforts currently evident. You just need to go back through various threads to see what might have been and -- in many cases -- still could occur.

I would not hold your breath... and my bigger worry is that the 106st-107st improvements from 99th-102ave will not be coordinated with the park construction and lead to a 3-4yr disruption instead of 2.

I wonder if there’s any negotiations taking place for that lot that’s (or maybe was) owned by Brad Lamb.

The city expressed interest along with public input for a rectangular park space.

Not a big deal if it’s not, but that lot becomes barely developable after this and highly valued.

I wonder if there’s any negotiations taking place for that lot that’s (or maybe was) owned by Brad Lamb.

The city expressed interest along with public input for a rectangular park space.

Not a big deal if it’s not, but that lot becomes barely developable after this and highly valued.
Do you mean plots 140 and 185? This is what the city told me last year: "We are hoping that 183-184-185 can be developed, with a building that can have some active frontage facing the park (patios, etc.) to make for a lively 'edge'. And it's the same story with 140-141-142."

The city acquired the former Lamb development site (which are 185/186/187 I believe).

Back