News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Warehouse District Park

^correct.

As for the lot west of BP's, I could be wrong but when I looked into it a few years ago it was an elderly gentlemen from California who had no plans on selling.
@archited sell the lot homie

I voted for option #2 and suggested they look at Berczy Park in Toronto for inspiration for the ornamental water feature

View attachment 397828View attachment 397830
Claude Cormier + Associates designed this park as well so given that they are the lead Landscape Architect on the Warehouse Park team, it's not like they can't give us an amazing, landmark design.

Doesn't always work that way folks, for you must demonstrate the need to resort to that tool. An argument for a central lot might be supported as it could throw off the whole, but adding another lot to the edge, just to add a lot to the edge might not be as convincing.

Doesn't always work that way folks, for you must demonstrate the need to resort to that tool. An argument for a central lot might be supported as it could throw off the whole, but adding another lot to the edge, just to add a lot to the edge might not be as convincing.

There are tools to encourage vacant lot development that the city hasn't started implementing yet. And honestly, I'm okay with vacant lots that are attractive and well maintained.

Expropriation!
So, the nice park will have a surface parking lot in front of it, perhaps for a long time to come? I wonder why the city just didn't extend the park to Jasper Avenue, maybe it was a budget issue.

Aesthetically, it might not be the best outcome, but I suppose on the bright side the park may not have a tall building in front of it blocking out the sunlight.

Of course, after the park is built the shrewd elderly fellow from California might decide to take advantage of the improvements to the vicinity by either selling or building something on it.

I really do hope the formal and organic designs that the city have produced are very preliminary. This park does little to nothing in serving the needs of the community. We need amenities like gyms, skating, basketball courts, an ampitheatre. "Inviting us to reflect" is not something we would do in a very loud part of the city. And it seems like they're trying adhering to inflexible planning principles - which lacks critical thinking in my opinion.

I dunno, I guess I'd rather see a 3 phase plan if money is an object, where the project is built out over several years and activities added year by year and more of the permanent fixtures such as pathways, vegetation, and utilities relocations are the first phase. We need to do this correctly, and the city seems on a path of underdelivering here.

I really do hope the formal and organic designs that the city have produced are very preliminary. This park does little to nothing in serving the needs of the community. We need amenities like gyms, skating, basketball courts, an ampitheatre. "Inviting us to reflect" is not something we would do in a very loud part of the city. And it seems like they're trying adhering to inflexible planning principles - which lacks critical thinking in my opinion.

I dunno, I guess I'd rather see a 3 phase plan if money is an object, where the project is built out over several years and activities added year by year and more of the permanent fixtures such as pathways, vegetation, and utilities relocations are the first phase. We need to do this correctly, and the city seems on a path of underdelivering here.
Well at least there are two of your suggestions being considered - an outdoor fitness area and half basketball court (a full one would be better imo).

This video that I posted a few days ago shows that they're actually going to do what you're suggesting
More In-depth information, I like all the additional elements, basketball court, ping pong tables and all

Also I think we have enough of those "nature" parks already that have sidewalks and benches here and there. We need more parks that contain infrastructures for outdoor activities such as basketball courts, skateboard ramps, tennis courts, large playgrounds, areas for rollerblading/ice skating etc. City has no creativity whatsoever. This is such a central location that I think putting these things in would make the park thrive.

I attended a drop-in session at Dick Mather Park this afternoon. I re-iterated Warehouse Park expansion to all of Jasper Ave and the mandatory inclusion of a water fountain to the COE lady, who in turn pondered the aural disruption of vehicle noise from Jasper Ave. In any case, I told her to build it right now!

Back