News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

U of A real estate

TL is fine but Tory might be one of the worst buildings on campus as far as classroom quality goes. As far as I can tell they have the same row of chair/desk combos since it was built in the 60s. Stands as a nice reminder of how far ergonomics have come but not much else. I switched classes to get away from a class in that building multiple times

It would be nice if they could improve some of the lecture theaters in the Tory. Accomodate for technologies and wifi, despite seeing wifi hotspots here and there the fact has been that internet connections tend to be lousy depending on what room you may be in. I've lost count to how many presentations where the presenter chooses to show a video from YouTube or they are trying to access their PowerPoint from the cloud and can't access it in a timely manner, making the whole class just sit and wait.

100% agreed and I had that wifi issue a lot, specifically in Tory Basement rooms. Sometimes you couldn’t even get cell service either. I guess credit to the architects who built that place thiccc.

Hopefully this is the right thread for this, but has there been any info / movement / etc. on the new arena at South Campus? Last bit of news publicly I could find was from 2018.

As a side note on that, I still hate how far from the LRT station they're planning on building the rink.

Taken June 19, 2022
20220619_113206_HDR.jpg

North East side of the Students Union Building (SUB). Looks like pretty extensive renovations.

Myer Horowitz theatre renovation

Last edited:
Taken June 19, 2022
View attachment 408551
North East side of the Students Union Building (SUB). Looks like pretty extensive renovations.

Myer Horowitz theatre renovation

FINALLY! I remember this being discussed back in the mid 2000's when I was at MacEwan and the talk was "when is the U of A going to fix the theatre." Personally I hope they bring back movie screenings there on a regular basis like it was originally intended to be back in the 1970's when my dad was at law school there. It was THE place to be/hang out/meet friends/see a film/live show... At least for a fleeting moment...

Back