News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

The AGA design competition in retrospect

Looking back at 2005, did we make the right decision? Who would you have chosen today?

• Erickson/Dub Architects

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Alsop & Partners

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hadid

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Stout

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Retained the old - Bittorf, and Wensley

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
The four finalist teams in the EAG’s New Vision architectural competition included: Alsop & Partners (London, UK) and Quadrangle (Toronto); Arthur Erickson/Nick Milkovich (Vancouver), Dub Architects (Edmonton); Zaha Hadid (London, UK); and Randall Stout (Los Angeles)

Erickson/Dub
Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 8.41.51 AM.png

Alsop/Quadrangle
unnamed.jpg

Hadid
Unknown.jpeg

Stout
randallstout_bestimage-n5yi2xwzfxxg8wsykywrbj6pb96wwo89oc3pmn0ylk.jpg

Bittorf and Wensley
29523-101999.jpg

Edmonton City Archives

Erickson/Dub was and remains my first choice. It was the one that was most sensitive to the original structure (something we too regularly ignore a la the library as well as the AGA). It was also four sided architecture instead of a single corner; it relates better to the adjacent streets and sidewalks; it retained the building’s primary function as gallery space rather than special event space; and it didn’t relegate rentals and sales to a corner in the basement.

Used to spend a lot of time at the AGA (the current Stout building). honestly I love the look of the Dub proposal most; I'm curious about what floorplans would have looked like. the current building is very dysfunctional behind the scenes; maybe a local, more sensitive architect would have done better.

I have always found the original building cold and uninviting, it did nothing to activate the street. Erickson/Dub brought the building to the street with the wrap around atrium, warming it up a little. Stout's second version of his building gave the metal swashes more purpose instead of being random. Hadid did nothing to fix the existing problem with the buildings relation to the street. Alsop's design is absolutely terrible but I would have chose it if that mess was being projected from large video screens.

I found another rendering for the Erickson/Dub proposal (from an article that was in the Journal just before the winner was revealed). Not sure if the one above or the one below is the final version. Also posted below is a shot of the AGA Executive Director at the time and models of the four projects.
IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1627.JPG

At the time I was hoping for Stout and I still vote that way. I would have loved to have seen a version of the Erickson/Dub for the Library. But that's a whole other topic.

Back