News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Terwillegar Drive Expansion

They were paving a large section of the path toward Whitemud yesterday. Then the landscaping has to be done. It may be done this weekend.

Curious how the flow is, for driving bits and pieces last weekend there was certainly a lot more capacity, but equally more lights to feed it and more lane changes to navigate it ie. speed differentials and higher risk of fender benders.

Still some lane closures but last Sunday there was a lot of easy movement. 3 lanes plus a bus lane. they do need to fix the Whitemud drive section. Have not been to the Henday side yet. (Trying to avoid it with the NS river crossing).

That photo is just inviting a train line down the middle.
This area was clearly designed with the plan to create underpasses at these intersections for a true freeway connection. I honestly feel like this whole "expansion" is a massive waste of money and is such a half-assed fix that will have a minimal improvement on congestion. The Yellowhead is a perfect example that 3 lanes of traffic does not mean minimal congestion if there is a constant need for stop and go at every intersection. Such typical and disappointing patchwork that will quickly become overwhelmed like the original decision to make AHD 2 lanes in the SW. End rant

I never understood (other than cost) why they couldn't have had per direction, 2 through lanes that would move traffic from one end to the other quickly travelling under flyovers of all the crossroads and two separated local access lanes that could have included everything for BRT and local bus routes, plus next to those a multiuse trail.

I never understood (other than cost) why they couldn't have had per direction, 2 through lanes that would move traffic from one end to the other quickly travelling under flyovers of all the crossroads and two separated local access lanes that could have included everything for BRT and local bus routes, plus next to those a multiuse trail.
From what I remember back in like 2018, that was essentially what their plan was when proposing the Freeway option. Have the areas where intersections were close together setup like the Whitemud between 170st and 178 st. But time and money are the reasons they went this Expressway option instead. This article shows the general overview of both options

It's a shame that 15yrs of options, open houses and budget cycles result in a system that will have more capacity, but many lights, starting/stopping ie. accident potential and did not continue the Whitemud to the AHD as it really should have. The preliminary grading was done decades ago now.

Regular reminder that adding car lanes and/or freewayitizing a road only provides short-term congestion relief at a disproportionately huge cost. Induced demand is still a thing.
So excited for my “fiscal conservative” relatives and friends who whine about bike lanes to still be stuck in traffic after we spend 400mil on this to exit keswick and windemere.

Back