What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
Oh my God... "In my opinion, if this development application is approved it will be the worst single degradation the community of North Glenora has experienced in the 37 years we have lived here." Can these people take an F'ing chill pill? It's a small infill project not Genghis Khan and the Mongols coming to block the sunlight from your house.

Another part of the same comment: "Approval of this application will open the floodgates to multi-family apartment like dwellings anywhere in the community. Anywhere! Do you want an apartment building next to you?" That's awesome! Did they mean that as a bad thing?? Let's get more of these high-quality multifamily projects on more busy corners in the neighborhood. In all seriousness, I would like to see some more that involve ownership of a townhouse or condo suite, not just renters. I hope market conditions can improve soon enough to allow for that interest in condo and townhouse ownership again.

Another part of the same comment: "Approval of this application will open the floodgates to multi-family apartment like dwellings anywhere in the community. Anywhere! Do you want an apartment building next to you?" That's awesome! Did they mean that as a bad thing??
Yes, it's a terrible thing! The LAST thing I'd want while living in a CITY is to live next door to lots of PEOPLE :mad:

Part of the reason that most communities in Edmonton will never look like Glenora, as I understand it, is the Carruthers caveat which restricts lot splitting and has been in place since Glenora was developed in the 1910s. The neighbourhood was intentionally designed with large lots and few (if any) multi-family dwellings. The result is a neighbourhood today that is historic and likely not to change much going forward, but also one that is not diverse, is out of reach of most Edmontonians and is a poor use of valuable inner city land.

It wasn't all that long ago that there was very little development in the inner city, with most people choosing to move to brand new neighbourhoods on the periphery instead. The fact that people are now trying to reinvest in these older core neighbourhoods is a great thing. In fact, it is quite ironic that some North Glenora residents are fighting this type of investment since it was only a few years ago that ESPB was considering closing Coronation school, which was "saved" in part by the influx of Syrian families moving into the Habitant for Humanity multi-family project on 109a ave.

Part of the reason that most communities in Edmonton will never look like Glenora, as I understand it, is the Carruthers caveat which restricts lot splitting and has been in place since Glenora was developed in the 1910s. The neighbourhood was intentionally designed with large lots and few (if any) multi-family dwellings. The result is a neighbourhood today that is historic and likely not to change much going forward, but also one that is not diverse, is out of reach of most Edmontonians and is a poor use of valuable inner city land.

It wasn't all that long ago that there was very little development in the inner city, with most people choosing to move to brand new neighbourhoods on the periphery instead. The fact that people are now trying to reinvest in these older core neighbourhoods is a great thing. In fact, it is quite ironic that some North Glenora residents are fighting this type of investment since it was only a few years ago that ESPB was considering closing Coronation school, which was "saved" in part by the influx of Syrian families moving into the Habitant for Humanity multi-family project on 109a ave.

This is bang on, 40-50 years after a neighborhood is created it needs to evolve rather quickly to keep the investment on services like schools, parks and community centers. There will just not be enough kids to go to school or play hockey in the community arenas.

Carruthers has been successfully challenged before...

As the developer for this project we really appreciate your support, everyone! Thanks so much to those of you who have gone to the engagement page to give feedback: https://engaged.edmonton.ca/t5mconnectdc2?tool=guest_book#tool_tab.
We're also happy to answer any questions. We would love to have constructive feedback from folks like you who understand projects like this.

As the developer for this project we really appreciate your support, everyone! Thanks so much to those of you who have gone to the engagement page to give feedback: https://engaged.edmonton.ca/t5mconnectdc2?tool=guest_book#tool_tab.
We're also happy to answer any questions. We would love to have constructive feedback from folks like you who understand projects like this.
Thanks for going through with this despite all of the NIMBY opposition. Developments like this are what will keep Edmonton's core alive and growing in the future, and I really hope that council supports this.

Hey, thank you guys for taking on a development in our neighborhood and making it even better! You are aiming to do something very environmentally and socially conscious with this project and I wish you the best in getting it done!

Hey, thank you guys for taking on a development in our neighborhood and making it even better! You are aiming to do something very environmentally and socially conscious with this project and I wish you the best in getting it done!
Thanks for your support! I will post the date for when we go to city council. It would great if you folks could come speak in support.

Major Development Permit
Reference Id:Job No 385788215-002
Description:To construct 16 Dwellings of Multi-unit Housing building.
Plan 4090HW Blk 13 Lot 14
10906 - 139 STREET NW
Plan 1821238 Blk 13 Lot 15A
10904 - 139 STREET NW
Plan 1821238 Blk 13 Lot 15B
Applicant:HOMESTRETCH DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
Create Date:2021/02/04
Neighbourgood:NORTH GLENORA
Class Of Permit:Class B

This is now under "technical review" - I hope it gets accepted. NIMBYers shouldn't stop us from progressing.

Who holds the NIMBY crown in Edmonton? The Great Glenora Econo-State or the People's Republic of Garneau?

Was Maude Flanders reincarnated there?

I don't think we're talking about love here. We're talking about S-E-X in front of the C-H-I-L-D-R-E-N!

Major Development Permit
Reference Id:Job No 385788215-002
Description:To construct 16 Dwellings of Multi-unit Housing building.
Plan 4090HW Blk 13 Lot 14
10906 - 139 STREET NW
Plan 1821238 Blk 13 Lot 15A
10904 - 139 STREET NW
Plan 1821238 Blk 13 Lot 15B
Applicant:HOMESTRETCH DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
Create Date:2021/02/04
Neighbourgood:NORTH GLENORA
Class Of Permit:Class B

This is now under "technical review" - I hope it gets accepted. NIMBYers shouldn't stop us from progressing.
It's in the process, but since it hasn't gone to Council for rezoning yet there is unfortunately still the chance for them to make a fuss for Council to not approve the application...

Back