News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Southgate Mall

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
An Edmonton mall rounds out a list of top five malls with most revenue per square foot in Canada — but it's probably not the mall you're thinking of.

Southgate Mall brought in $1,155 per square foot over a 12-month period ending in Aug. 2016, according to a new study released by the Retail Council of Canada (RCC).

West Edmonton Mall — still the biggest mall in North America, according to the study — came in at 29th on the list, making $777 per square foot in the same time period.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ong-most-successful-malls-in-canada-1.3935529

BP issued for Alo Yoga at Southgate.

Opening in the large space near H & M

20230814_122126.jpg

Nice pics.

Escalators are out at Kingsway as well and managers said they don’t have enough money or timeline to fix them. They also didn’t get all their fall stock. Things are going from questionable to dire at HBC. I think we’ll continue to see store closures or worse. Londonderry store makes no sense what they’re trying to do there or sell and WEM was incredibly poorly stocked when I visited yesterday. They’re just not getting stock in

Nice pics.

Escalators are out at Kingsway as well and managers said they don’t have enough money or timeline to fix them. They also didn’t get all their fall stock. Things are going from questionable to dire at HBC. I think we’ll continue to see store closures or worse. Londonderry store makes no sense what they’re trying to do there or sell and WEM was incredibly poorly stocked when I visited yesterday. They’re just not getting stock in

They need to scale down to their HBC-branded stuff and have select small format stores across the country. Like Roots, but better. It's clear nobody is interested in the department store anymore, but they could still do something with their own IP.

That’s the thing — I am still interested. And pre covid their stores still made money. They’re just not stocking them properly. Obviously a cash flow issue but it’s sad.

Last edited:
Speaking of malls, what do y’all think of Premium Outlet Mall by the airport? I’ve always thought it was a more unique mall due to the lack of big-box flagships like Sears or Bay, and it seems to have a bigger focus on fashion retailers and smaller specialty stores (like Lindt or that hot sauce store that used to be there), so they seemed to have innovated a bit with the mall model. How does it stack up with the other malls? Personally, my family and I have always liked shopping there over Southgate, even though it’s the same amount of time to drive down there.

Speaking of malls, what do y’all think of Premium Outlet Mall by the airport? I’ve always thought it was a more unique mall due to the lack of big-box flagships like Sears or Bay, and it seems to have a bigger focus on fashion retailers and smaller specialty stores (like Lindt or that hot sauce store that used to be there), so they seemed to have innovated a bit with the mall model. How does it stack up with the other malls? Personally, my family and I have always liked shopping there over Southgate, even though it’s the same amount of time to drive down there.
Maybe because it is nicer and new, or because it has such a good selection of fashion retailers, I have spent more time shopping there over Southgate which is much closer for me.

I hate the congestion of the big malls (Southgage, WEM and Kingsway) and try to avoid them. The main reason I go to Southgate is to get small purchases at one store that moved there (I preferred their previous location). I am in and out as fast as I can and generally get nothing else.

Nice pics.

I wonder how HBC is doing in other cities.

Back