2.5K     0 

Southgate Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Ivanhoé Cambridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
20210728_102357.jpg
20210728_102401.jpg
20210728_103402_HDR.jpg

Malls are the new TODs.
I actually think edmonton has more potential with this than most cities because of our winters. If they added 6 to 8 condos on top of West Ed's parking lots, I could see seniors homes doing very well, university students liking it, etc. Being attached to a mall with everything you could want a short walk away would be killer. We just need the economics to start making sense.

I actually think edmonton has more potential with this than most cities because of our winters. If they added 6 to 8 condos on top of West Ed's parking lots, I could see seniors homes doing very well, university students liking it, etc. Being attached to a mall with everything you could want a short walk away would be killer. We just need the economics to start making sense.
Any mall with an attached grocery store would be smart to develop residential - Southgate with Safeway and Londonderry with Save-On (and Kingsway once Walmart Supercentre opens) would do great. I'm sure there are many that would be more than glad to be able to get groceries, pickup some new clothes and go to the dentist all without going outside in January (not that this would be good for street life, however).

Any mall with an attached grocery store would be smart to develop residential - Southgate with Safeway and Londonderry with Save-On (and Kingsway once Walmart Supercentre opens) would do great. I'm sure there are many that would be more than glad to be able to get groceries, pickup some new clothes and go to the dentist all without going outside in January (not that this would be good for street life, however).
Lets hope that City Centre builds a couple of mixed use towers to help with foot traffic in the mall. Anyone know if the new owners are local, national or foreign? It would be great to see some progress to reformat at least CC West.

I suspect the more successful malls will be very reluctant to give up much, if any, of their parking.

Perhaps residential development could boost some of the others. Bonnie Doon and City Centre might be the best candidates because of their proximity to LRT.

I wonder what will happen with the old Eaton/Bay space in City Centre. It might be a good location for a residential or mixed use tower. Ironically, I believe the original Eaton Centre plans included a large tower.

A Canadian company. There are 10 or so in Canada - with 2 in Calgary. https://www.sportinglife.ca/en-CA/brands

Wiki in what obviously has been written and edited state:
"Sporting Life is well known{[b ywho}} for its large stock of outerwear, fleece, coats, and jackets, often regarded as Ontario’s "luxury sporting goods store (and $2,300 parka emporium)"[citation needed] and the "Holt Renfew of the sporting world".[dubiousdiscuss][verify][citation needed] It is one of the few[quantify] Canadian retailers[example needed] to carry such luxury labels as Arc'teryx, Canada Goose, Marmot, Moncler, The North Face, Patagonia, Moose Knuckles, and Salomon.

Sporting Life was one of the first North American retailers of Canada Goose, which has only been recently also been sold at Holt Renfrew and Harry Rosen.[1] Sporting Life's clientele tends to be more upmarket and enthusiast, in contrast to another domestic sporting goods retailer, Sport Chek, which caters to a more casual audience as well being common in Canadian shopping plazas and malls. Sporting Life's annual sales in 2011 were $100 million, less than one tenth of Sport Chek's parent Forzani Group. Co-founder David Russell suggested that Sport Chek and Sporting Life were not direct competitors, saying “Typically, our price points take over where theirs end”.[2]

Due to its few locations and unique premium product selection, Sporting Life has been considered a destination shop in Toronto for decades.[when?] At its flagship store, the parking lot is reportedly[by whom?] full on weekends despite having a parking attendant and has often stalled traffic on Yonge Street south of Lawrence.[2] It is extremely popular during Boxing Day and Black Friday, with huge lineups of customers waiting to enter, as brands such as The North Face are often marked down by 50%, though these promotions do not extend to Canada Goose.[3] Sporting Life is also known for sponsoring the Sporting Life 10K run which starts at its flagship store and takes the route of Yonge Street; the 2013 edition sold out with 27,000 participants raising $2.2 million."

Apparently a nearby retailer with a long history in this neighbourhood on 51 ave will be moving into some new digs within the former Sears space. They've been looking for over 15 years at an opportunity to get in on the Southgate site, and now it is open and available. 🥳

Apparently a nearby retailer with a long history in this neighbourhood on 51 ave will be moving into some new digs within the former Sears space. They've been looking for over 15 years at an opportunity to get in on the Southgate site, and now it is open and available. 🥳

London Drugs?

Taken March 16, 2022
Where the big opening was before (post #17)
20220316_135356_HDR.jpg

A bit of a style change to the exterior bulkheads
20220316_135548.jpg

Also I happened to overhear that one minor but important addition to the mall, there will be brand new washrooms built in the North East corner of the mall near the mall entrance near Servus.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a timeline as to when this renovation will be completed? I keep seeing 2022 which is this year. But will it open during the summer? or before the Christmas season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back