News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

SkyriseEdmonton (Site & Forum Discussions and Issues)

If you're wondering why I posted two weeks' worth of photo updates in one go, it's because I'm about to embark on what might be the craziest thing I've done yet - taking a weeklong solo trip to Canmore and Banff to go bike around in the mountains, with nothing but what fits in this backpack.

Wish me not getting eaten by a bear! ?

20190816_132254.jpg

@Daveography, I read an article within the last ten days where a woman, alone in the wilderness, spotted a mountain lion crouching kitty-style as if ready to pounce, some 50 yards distant from where she was. She tried yelling and clapping her hands -- to no avail. She did have her iPhone with her and brought up ACDC (or Iron Maiden, or one of those heavy metal types), turned the volume up full and pointed it in the direction of said kitty. It worked, the cat ran off into the woods. When I was a trail guide at Jasper National Park, I used to bring along store-bought Fire Crackers and a modified blow gun. Apparently bears do not like loud noises, nor do they like the smell of smoke (so I was told). Black bears in my experience are pretty skittish -- brown bears (Grizzlies) not so much. You have to have the fortitude to play dead if attacked by a Grizzly (you can't outrun or even outride them on a tenspeed). Bear Spray is candy for Grizzlies. All of the Grizzlies in the Banff area are collared and tracked -- you might check with authorities to see where they are located (as a precaution).

This trip isn't all fun and games though. In also hitting up every brewery in Canmore and Banff.

I've hit up Grizzly Paw, Half Hitch, Canmore Brewing, and currently posting this from the brand new Sheepdog Brewing, which is impressing me a lot so far.

20190816_201539.jpg20190817_155740.jpg20190817_181254.jpg20190818_161917.jpg

The beer touring sound great. Have done some gravel rides along the eastern slopes but my bike packing days may be over.

Had some acquaintances that Bike packed form Yeg down to Rossiland BC and Back this summer.

Getting on a bike and just going out in the country is still a beautiful way to see a place.

Volunteered for the Marathon yesterday. Great way to see the city on an early morning. Ride your bike on closed streets from east to west end and down a closed Jasper Ave

@archited Beer baiting?

Not yet, still in Banff, still zero bears. Lots of beers though. Tomorrow I head to Calgary, back via Canmore, and will be spending the weekend with friends.

Been an amazing trip though. I saw Pikas for the first time. I even kayaked for the first time ever, too.

20190819_172259.jpg20190820_183206.jpg20190821_110812.jpg20190821_101153.jpg20190819_130852.jpg20190820_103811.jpg

Just wanted to say welcome to the influx of new members we've had in the last week! Sorry I haven't been able to say welcome to all of you individually, but I'm happy you're here!

If you have a few minutes and want to, drop into the Introduce Yourself thread and let us know what brings you to SkyriseEdmonton!

Back