News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Touch the Water Promenade / River Valley "Seawall"

The North Saskatchewan must flow faster than the Bow River, at least downtown, perhaps partly the result of the Harvie Passage (and other breaks) east of downtown. Aquatic opportunities seem more abundant with St. George's Island and Prince's Island, not to mention the Elbow River. Downtown is located in the Bow Valley. Sadly, the North Saskatchewan has claimed two lives this year because of fast-flowing sections.
The 2 rivers are vastly different beasts. The Bow through Calgary is relatively tame. Harvie Passage and St G island do make for a more accessible river. If we had a large Island we may have had some different flow conditions. but the river squeezes through Edmonton so higher flow rates. Regrettably I don't expect to see touch the water in my lifetime. The political and financial will is not there.

But get out on the water right now. This conditions are at their best.

I don't think people need to touch the water and I am skeptical it will draw more people. We do need more amenities in the area - washrooms, cafe's, restaurant's, etc.

I wish the old power plant site would be developed, it is just an empty shell sitting there empty for many years, but it could be a great attraction. We already have our version of the Granville Market there, we are just not doing anything with it.

At least the ball diamond is still being used and has not been sitting empty for years and years like the power plant. At some point as a city we need to get off our butts and do things and quit making various excuses for why nothing happens. Until we do, things will not improve.

The 2 rivers are vastly different beasts. The Bow through Calgary is relatively tame. Harvie Passage and St G island do make for a more accessible river. If we had a large Island we may have had some different flow conditions. but the river squeezes through Edmonton so higher flow rates. Regrettably I don't expect to see touch the water in my lifetime. The political and financial will is not there.

But get out on the water right now. This conditions are at their best.
Saddest part is a small river island of silt/sand formed through bridge dredging became one of the hottest local spots to visit for a good few years, so there is clearly a desire in this city for urban river interaction.

Saddest part is a small river island of silt/sand formed through bridge dredging became one of the hottest local spots to visit for a good few years, so there is clearly a desire in this city for urban river interaction.
I would agree the beach does indicate a desire or need for more urban river interaction. However, a somewhat natural beach vs. a very constructed structure with a lot of concrete are very different.

The idea of canals in Rossdale some years ago was actually a good one - bring the water more into the urban area, rather than disturb the river bank area. I realize whatever we do will disrupt the natural environment, but like the beach, the less disruption the better.

Back