News   Apr 02, 2020
 5.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 1.6K     0 

River Valley Planning Modernization Project

Stevey_G

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ol' Steve-O's not a fan of the idea, but I'm sure the city will do everything in it's power to hand off the river valley and it's problems to someone else.

Reactions: God

CplKlinger

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm personally in support of this as a concept, but obviously I can't give a definitive opinion until more details emerge. But if we can protect the river valley from Devon to Fort Saskatchewan while allowing public realm improvements like Touch the Water, then I think it would be well worth the federal investments, branding, etc. Having an urban national park right here in the city and surrounding region could be a large boon for tourism.

David A

Member Bio
Reaction score
It is just initial consultation, so no boundaries have been determined yet. I believe it is likely to be mostly an expansion of or addition to the current river valley park system that could also possibly involve other communities in the region as well as Edmonton.

It would be great to have an urban national park here. They are also being looked at in several other cities as well.

Parks Canada eyes new urban parks in 3 cities​

Kaizen

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
e4d62f7f-94a8-417d-8c03-f9052885e9c0.jpg
Hi everyone,
We are touching base today to share a few brief project updates on the River Valley Planning Modernization project, including the wrap-up of Phase 2, an upcoming update to City Council (Urban Planning Committee), and the next steps of this work.
We look forward to continuing the conversation with you as we move into Phase 3. As always, feel free to reach out to us at ribbonofgreen@edmonton.ca.
Sincerely,
The RVPM Project Team

CplKlinger

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
"As the North Saskatchewan River is less than 2% glacier-fed, it doesn’t share the same risk of diminishing supply."

That's (good) news to me, I always thought it was a predominantly glacier-fed river. I'll breathe a bit easier now!

Avenuer

Member Bio
Reaction score
"As the North Saskatchewan River is less than 2% glacier-fed, it doesn’t share the same risk of diminishing supply."

That's (good) news to me, I always thought it was a predominantly glacier-fed river. I'll breathe a bit easier now!
I think most of it is fed by snow melt and rainfall runoff, both of which aren't directly affected by receding glaciers. I didn't know glacier melt made up only 2% though, thanks for the info!