News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Ray Gibbon Drive

Driving by the site Sunday, looks like they are adding a multi use path on the west side, from Trumpeter to the Enjoy centre.

" When complete, Ray Gibbon Drive will be a four-lane arterial road built to a municipal standard, with sidewalk trails, curbs, lights and intersections leading to the rest of St. Albert. "

Source

Phase 2 must have started earlier this year.

Phase 2 must have started earlier this year.

They started in July, The bridge will not be done until next year. no foundation is built yet. they did build piers during the original construction though

Last edited:
Lots of working going on now, but it's still single lane to Leclaire Way...
1628629211406.png

Here are the plans for Fowler Way which connects Ray Gibbon Drive to Hwy 2. Construction is anticipated to start in 2029.
Mind you, by the time they get around to constructing this road, St. Albert would have likely expanded to the Hwy 37 interchange!

1630171768211.png

The twinning from the Enjoy Centre to just north of McKenney Drive is coming along slowly but surely. I think that section will open sometime during fall 2022. I couldn't really see the Sturgeon River bridge crossing but I think it will open in fall 2022 as well.

Not great shots as I came up on the east side but still some shots. Ellis Don are working 2shift. Timeline is for the end of June. But no where near likely to make it. The north abutment is ready to pour. The south is still rebar. And they are fighting a battle with the river.
PXL_20220404_235401414.jpg
PXL_20220404_235404897.jpg

Not great shots as I came up on the east side but still some shots. Ellis Don are working 2shift. Timeline is for the end of June. But no where near likely to make it. The north abutment is ready to pour. The south is still rebar. And they are fighting a battle with the river. View attachment 390272View attachment 390273
Off topic but is the Sturgeon usually that full in spring?

Most years, Last year was quite high. This year a little slower rise but quite a number of low trails are closed. The Peron Street section was closed most of last spring until July.

The contractors were saying the water was out at the piers on Sunday. Big Lake only holds so much back add to that the river has gotten shallower every year since I moved to St Al in the 70's.

The trail should have been revamped as part of this work but it sounds like that is not going to happen. The north side trail will be higher out of the water and will join up to the new Red Will trail system going in at the adjacent White Spruce Forest.

Last edited:

Back