• I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
giphy.gif

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 697
Turned out really well. Most people probably like the west side of the building, but I like the east side myself.

Doors finally open on first major new downtown Edmonton hotel
The first major new downtown Edmonton hotel in a generation finally welcomed its inaugural guests Thursday, a couple of years later than expected.

Constructing the eye-catching Hyatt Place Edmonton on 96 Street was delayed by underground gasoline contamination and city permit holdups. No other private development in the surrounding Quarters has occurred.

But owner Prem Singhmar, who held a groundbreaking ceremony for the project in 2012, is hopeful his $55-million investment will be worthwhile

“There are challenges with the location, with the traffic, with the (Valley Line) LRT, but we have to work through it,” he said during a tour of the 13-storey building overlooking Jasper Avenue.

“You can’t see the future, but I think it’s a good product. I think it’s a good addition to the city. I hope it will pay off.”

Full Story (Edmonton Journal)

Hyatt probably isn't too happy about the mega-project proposed within earshot of this, especially since it's supposed to contain a hotel.

On the contrary, @Marcanadian, hospitality absolutely thrives when in proximity to others of the same ilk. My company specializes in hospitality design -- hotels, restaurants, bars, clubs, entertainment venues -- and when we are tasked with finding clients a new location, we always look first to possibilities where other hospitality venues already exist. By gathering in one location, a destination node is created that benefits all who are there. Hyatt Place would suffer more with no other hospitality around them.

Back