News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Pope Francis visit to Western Canada - July 24-27

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Pope Francis to have historic Truth and Reconciliation visit in central Alberta​

June 23, 2022

Edmonton will serve as home base for Pope Francis during his visit to Western Canada, taking place July 24-27, as the Catholic Church strengthens its efforts to listen to, talk with and learn from residential school survivors, their families and their communities, and offer an apology for the role it played in the residential school system.

“We are pleased to play a supporting role in the Catholic Church’s journey towards reconciliation with First Nations, Métis and Inuit communities on Canadian soil,” said Andre Corbould, Edmonton’s City Manager. “Our city is deeply committed to fulfilling the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, and we welcome Indigenous Peoples and communities from across Western Canada, with open arms, to this opportunity for progress and healing.”

The Vatican released its detailed itinerary of the visit in Alberta early this morning, available at papalvisit.ca. Pope Francis will visit the site of a former residential school in Maskwacîs and will travel to Lac Ste. Anne, a popular Indigenous pilgrimage site that draws up to 40,000 people each year.

When back in Edmonton, the Pope will celebrate mass at Commonwealth Stadium. Free tickets will be available in the coming days, with details and access to tickets throughpapalvisit.ca.

The papal visit in Canada is an initiative led by the Vatican and the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (CCCB). The City of Edmonton and its local partner, the Alberta Coordinating Committee, will provide support and specific services that ensure the safety and security of the Pope and the public.

As further details become available, they will be published on the City’s web page.​

For more information:
edmonton.ca/papalvisit
papalvisit.ca (English)
visitepapale.ca (French)

Media contact:
Patricia Hutchison
Director of Reputation
City of Edmonton
780-405-2304​

That TBA event at Commonwealth Stadium can now be filled! ;)
Is Pope Francis aware of the Dove of Peace sculpture near Connors Road that was erected in honor of Pope John Paul II during his visit in 1984?

I bet the pope will say "I am sorry", have thoughts and prayers and do nothing else. I would be shocked if he actually compensated victims for the wrong doings the church did in the past.

How demeaning for the people involved had to fly half way around the world to beg for an apology. It’s a topsy turvy world we live in.

So the provincial government is paving roads in Maskwacis, That's usually a federal Government cost but I guess Kenny needs to do it to look good to the Boss. If they are doing that then They need to to the one to the Lac Saint Anne pilgrimage site.

It's interesting how we can quickly prioritize spending $441000 on things like this just because the pope is coming to town
"Cost of the upgrade has been pegged at $441,000, which will be covered from existing budgets unrelated to the Pope’s visit."???

so, does this mean there is $441,000 of work that was otherwise planned that will not get done?

or does it mean that there was $441,000 in the existing budget that wasn't actually allocated for anything?

and how many "other" $441,000 chunks are potentially hidden away but easily accessible when someone really wants/needs it?

and who exactly is that "someone" because i don't recall this being a debated agenda item for council?

I am opposed to public funds being used to prop up the Catholic Church or any other religion. Catholics should be paying for the paint job if they want it. That $440,000 should have been spent on counselling services for the victims not for a backdrop for the Pope for 30 minutes. It’s abuse of taxpayer money by Council.

Back