MCXavierL

Member Bio
Reaction score
Going to EDC on September 7, 2021:

Mixed-Use Building on 10930 98 St (for DP) Formal - Latvian Design Line

From Latvian Design Line's website:

5-5.jpeg

6-6.jpeg

Very nice, quite surprised to see this proposed for that area. I'll take 5 more of these. Let's put the same building (or something similar to it) in Inglewood, Alberta Avenue, 124th street, Whyte Ave and Stony Plain Road west of 149 st
My ONLY change would be swap the parking to the back and have the storefronts at the sidewalk, in some of these areas (for where it is being build, not necessarily).

The basic form is ok, but the material choice and overall impression is 'overdone'.

Very bold for a small building -- congrats on thinking outside the box Latvian Design Line. I love the lighting effects and the play of curves and angles -- the "cut-outs" and change up of materials provides a beautiful "surprise". Extremely well done!

^'bold' is generally an adjective used by 'design professionals' to play nice in the sandbox but I feel as though you actually like this. Odd.

Not quite a Homer car, but most of the kitchen sink is in there.

I like certain elements, but it's overdone, won't age well and is not very refined.

Surprised you like it, that's all.

Very nice, our city desperately needs more colour and unique design, this quirky building brings both of those. Of course it's more risky and expensive than a white or grey cube but if you hate Edmonton being framed as dull and boring you need more of this, let's see what our council has to say about it.

I like certain elements, but it's overdone, won't age well and is not very refined.

Surprised you like it, that's all.
wont age well? it's small and quirky, something that always ages well.

it will age better than than the mezzo and many of the other "i want to be on the cover of architectural record" value engineered derivatives with their tacked on projecting boxes and strangely patterned "me to" asymmetrical cladding choices that you have happily supported wholeheartedly.

It's funky architecture and happy to have some variety, but strictly speaking it ain't much for me (but happy it is for others).

Back