News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Old Strathcona / Whyte Avenue

'there is just so much choice in Edmonton for a good steak'

There is? I have always found the capital city of 'beef country' to be significantly lacking good steakhouses and BBQ in general.

'there is just so much choice in Edmonton for a good steak'

There is? I have always found the capital city of 'beef country' to be significantly lacking good steakhouses and BBQ in general.
Steak:
The Marc
DOSC
Ruths Chris
Coliseum Steak & Pizza
Braven
Lux
Chop
Pampa

BBQ:
Transit Hotel
Smoke BBQ
MEAT
Memphis Blues

Not including all of the other restaurants that have steak on the menu not mentioned above. How many more steakhouses/restaurants with steak does a city need?

Hmm, not sure about anyone else on here but I've never been and it never came to mind when thinking of a place to go for dinner - there is just so much choice in Edmonton for a good steak (and even oysters).
I have dined there at least a dozen times, and have attended many a happy hour there for oysters. I for one will be sad to see it go - it was great space, so very comfortable.

Steak:
The Marc
DOSC
Ruths Chris
Coliseum Steak & Pizza
Braven
Lux
Chop
Pampa

BBQ:
Transit Hotel
Smoke BBQ
MEAT
Memphis Blues

Not including all of the other restaurants that have steak on the menu not mentioned above. How many more steakhouses/restaurants with steak does a city need?
Lets not forget to add the wonderful weekly "old school" chateaubriand special for two, prepaid table side and the other steaks on the menu at La Ronde in the Chateau Lacombe which include:
"CHARBROILED ALBERTA AAA STRIPLOIN: five peppercorn and wild mushroom sauce, horseradish mashed potatoes
GRILLED ALBERTA BISON FILET: marinated in port wine and fresh herbs with caramelized shallot jus, sage spaetzle
GRILLED ANGUS RIB EYE: rosemary merlot demi, roasted fingerling potatoes
ALBERTA AAA PRIME RIB: slow roasted, rosemary jus, horseradish mashed potatoes, yorkshire pudding"

And there are other hotel dining rooms and restaurants to consider.

Von's is for sale
With the price of beef, who can blame them for wanting to get out. I saw Dallas Pizza also for sale not long ago.

Hey -- the restaurant is for sale -- probably just Barry Sparrow wanting to take a respite -- doesn't mean the place won't be bought by another restaurateur and remain in business.
P.S. I used to "live" at the Oyster Bar oh so many years ago.

David J. Olson
• 1st
Senior Associate at Lizotte and Associates Real Estate Inc.
4 minutes ago

It was an absolute pleasure working with our longtime Whyte Avenue Landlord and Property owner, as well as the tenant Nine Times Skateboard, this will be there third location and first store in Edmonton, Whyte Avenues culture is deeply routed with the skateboard seen, and it is very exciting to bring back the culture to the area. Fun fact ,the space that they will be occupying was home to one of the first Skate Snow Board stores on Whyte over 20 years ago, the only retail store on that block that is still running strong is FOOSH. Store is slated to open Spring/Summer 2023! #shoplocal #yeg #whyteavenue #skateboards,
#retail Justin Sorensen Kristy Theriault Soudabeh Mobin

I would like to see a Cactus Club, Joey or Browns Socialhouse on Whyte Ave. I'm wondering why these large chains haven't bothered opening on this strip yet. There's plenty of empty CRUs to choose from.

Not to be the typical Whyte gatekeeper against the commercialization boogeyman, but I personally think there are enough of those restaurants everywhere else in Edmonton.

Last edited:
There are just 2 Cactus Club locations (downtown and WEM), 3 Joey locations (downtown, Mayfield, South Common) and 5 Browns in the far-flung suburbs. Surely Edmonton can use another Cactus Club or Joey? Calgary has 3 Cactus Clubs with a 4th one coming soon. I would rather see them open new locations on Whyte Ave instead of Windermere.

Back