7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Old Strathcona & The Garneau Real Estate

^^
^
When we go to Granville Market we usually drive. Same with the St. Lawrence Market in Downtown Toronto. Same when I go to Byward in Ottawa. It's not about removing parking as much as it is about providing a good variety of options, good transit and an amazing experience in the neighbourhood once you get there to not just drive in and get your stuff and go, but walk, explore and make a day of it.

Don't for a second think this is an Edmonton/car-centric thing.
I agree that markets, regardless of their nature, do require parking to effectively attract people, but I believe we could get away with a little less parking, or creative solutions for it (maybe do it underground and develop above, for example, but reduce the total amount of parking by a percentage, so we start pushing people towards other modes).

I just believe that these are prime plots of land, in one of the most desirable areas of the city, in/around a street that is probable the most walkable and pleasant in town, and having surface parking there is a colossal wasted opportunity.

Personally I will utilize the parking lot for the Old Strathcona Farmer's Market (I go several times a year) but I can use the gondola once it opens
"My wallet is in my back pocket -- if you would be so kind as to remove it for me and take the Gondola fare out so that I can board. I bought a few more items than I had planned for. What's that? Because of the space I am taking up with my farmer's market purchases I am going to have to pay double fare? OK -- next time I am going to take my car!"
Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 12.31.19 PM.png

I agree that markets, regardless of their nature, do require parking to effectively attract people, but I believe we could get away with a little less parking, or creative solutions for it (maybe do it underground and develop above, for example, but reduce the total amount of parking by a percentage, so we start pushing people towards other modes).

I just believe that these are prime plots of land, in one of the most desirable areas of the city, in/around a street that is probable the most walkable and pleasant in town, and having surface parking there is a colossal wasted opportunity.

Agreed, I think some creative solutions around parking can be found that not so much is needed in this prime space.

Also of note, there is no free parking at Toronto's St. Lawrence Market (although there is a special rate) and at Granville you have to pay between 11am - 6pm.

As well, is having the Strathcona market open a second day (Sunday) or a few hours longer on Saturday not an option that could help spread out parking demand?

For instance, St. Lawrence Market is open 5 days a week and on its busiest day, Saturday, its hours are 5am to 4pm. Yes, 5am!

Granville Island Market is open until 6pm on Saturdays and every day of the week.

And the Strathcona Market? it's open one day a week and only 8am-3pm.

Last edited:
Agreed, I think some creative solutions around parking can be found that not so much is needed in this prime space.

Also of note, there is no free parking at Toronto's St. Lawrence Market (although there is a special rate) and at Granville you have to pay between 11am - 6pm.

As well, is having the Strathcona market open a second day (Sunday) or a few hours longer on Saturday not an option that could help spread out parking demand?

For instance, St. Lawrence Market is open 5 days a week and on its busiest day, Saturday, its hours are 5am to 4pm. Yes, 5am!

Granville Island Market is open until 6pm on Saturdays and every day of the week.

And the Strathcona Market? it's open one day a week and only 8am-3pm.
A good solution I think would be to develop the parking lot with a mixed use building and incorporate either underground or above ground parking, with perhaps 150 stalls dedicated to public parking that could be used by market goers.

I can appreciate the need right there and believe it would be a very negative move for the area to get rid of that parking, but a better deal and or some portion to be used for other things to improve the community could be a nice balance. My mom goes to that market BECAUSE of the ease of parking and she likes her once a week trip to a 'neat' part of the city. If there was no parking she would go to one of the Southside markets.
Develop the site in portions, keeping some parking open while building new projects. New projects have public parkades underground, with use for the market on Saturdays, they can form a deal with the developer. Done.

(I realize this is easy to say as someone with no skin in the game 😂)

UG parking is very expensive and would have a hard time creating a return in that location IMO.

UG parking is very expensive and would have a hard time creating a return in that location IMO.
They will cut into the lower level where the Bay used to be and garner hundreds of stalls ... also they could go above grade again for additional parking , this time with supports for tower(s).

Well do whatever to the parking/future park/gondola station/future development. How much will the gondola affect this overall property?

I'll admit I prefer the downtown market as it has far more room to grow and that is with it's free parking, or the multi-day market on the Southside.

It did in April 2021 for 3.16 million.
MNP Ltd., in its capacity as court appointed Receiver of 2399430 Alberta Ltd. and 2399449 Alberta Ltd., has engaged NAI Commercial Real Estate Inc. (“NAI”) to list and market four prominent properties in Edmonton, Alberta; The Union Bank Inn Property – 10053 Jasper Avenue NW; The Scona Garage – 8020 – 105 Street NW; The Harvest Building – 10315 – 109 Street NW; and, 10507 Saskatchewan Drive NW. Additional details can also be found at our website link below.

MNP Ltd., in its capacity as court appointed Receiver of 2399430 Alberta Ltd. and 2399449 Alberta Ltd., has engaged NAI Commercial Real Estate Inc. (“NAI”) to list and market four prominent properties in Edmonton, Alberta; The Union Bank Inn Property – 10053 Jasper Avenue NW; The Scona Garage – 8020 – 105 Street NW; The Harvest Building – 10315 – 109 Street NW; and, 10507 Saskatchewan Drive NW. Additional details can also be found at our website link below.

Couldn't pay the mortgage I guess?

Back