2.6K     0 

New art installation reflects Indigenous heritage

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
xx-20-edm-waxwingsktuong-5.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Destiny Swiderski has always seen the potential hidden down back alleys.

“They’re lost spaces almost,” said the artist and designer, citing a project she once created in a residential neighbourhood in Winnipeg.

“You would see manicured lawns in the front, and nothing in the back. Still, all the activity was in the back. That’s where people really live.”

That’s a big part of the reason why she chose to tuck away her new art installation on the side of a building off 104 Street.

The new work, named Amiskwacîw Wâskâyhkan Ihâtwin, meaning Beaver Hills House in Cree, features 152 copper and black waxwing birds soaring above a mural of lodgepole pine.

Full Story (Metro Edmonton)

Métis artist Destiny Swiderski transforms back alley into award-winning 'connector'
Destiny Swiderski lives to create whether it's tending to an acres of blueberries on Vancouver Island or designing and installing massive public art projects.

The 36-year-old Métis artist's latest work occupies a previously bare wall connecting the relatively new Michael Phair Park with Beaver Hills House Park that's been at Jasper Avenue and 103rd Street for close to 40 years now.

Swiderski remembers being presented with the artistic challenge.

"I had this site; it was a dark alley. It was really important for me to create a sense of safety at night and to create a story."

In the mural, more than 150 copper silhouettes of Bohemian waxwings swoop over a lodgepole forest.

Swiderski says she put her heart and soul into a project that took a year from conception to completion.

"This piece was not just going to be about me, it was going to be about the community at large and what they had to say."

beaver-hills-house-park.jpg

This art instillation connects Michael Phair Park with Beaver Hills House Park at Jasper Avenue and 103 Street. (John Robertson/CBC)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/métis-artist-destiny-swiderski-edmonton-beaver-hills-house-park-1.4194987

Back