News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Neighbourhood Renewal

Still not sure how I feel about our lack of seperated bike infastruxture in neighbourhoods. Without it, young kids aren't as safe and winter maintenance is non existent. But I understand the hesitation to invest in build it where roads are already slow, quiet, and not busy.

Anyone have thoughts on this? We all know how bad sharrows are haha. But I can hear the complaints about curbs/planters being installed
I think you may have misread it. The city is adding a bunch of shared use paths (not sharrows), which are those wide (typically black) paths that often replace sidewalks. Shared use paths get cleared by the city during the winter. It's AAA bike infrastructure, so this is very positive news for the neighborhood.

A big upside to shared use paths over bike lanes is that nobody ever complains about shared use paths, but any kind of bike lane gets some very loud complainers frothing at the mouth.

For neighborhood routes like this that don't serve as high traffic corridors, shared use paths get the job done and let us save our energy for more important battles.

I think you may have misread it. The city is adding a bunch of shared use paths (not sharrows), which are those wide (typically black) paths that often replace sidewalks. Shared use paths get cleared by the city during the winter. It's AAA bike infrastructure, so this is very positive news for the neighborhood.
My bad. Sorry. Didn't realize the bike route pictures in that prior post were highlighting where SUPs were going.

Sadly in my neighbourhood when they did renewal like 6 years ago, they designated bike routes with sharrows, which were different than bike paths, I.e. SUPs. So we have sharrows on routes but no actual infastructure. Such a missed opportunity. Especially because we are the only neighbourhood with 3 LRT stops in our borders in the whole city....you'd think active transportation would be especially helpful here.

Might have to do some tactical urbanism in the future! Hoping for the bike plan to cover it though soon.

The neighbourhood renewals are a great time to add this infastructure, we also just need to get it added to every neighbourhood in the next 5-6 years. Not 25+. If we're serious about the city plan, cutting emissions, climate change, vision zero, obesity, etc, we'll need to move faster.

Janz got 4mil extra for active transport work, which is awesome. But European cities are dropping hundreds of millions and even billions on rolling out city wide plans to be finished in 5-10 years. And they already have better infastruxture than us. So we have lots of catching up to do.

Janz got 4mil extra for active transport work, which is awesome. But European cities are dropping hundreds of millions and even billions on rolling out city wide plans to be finished in 5-10 years. And they already have better infastruxture than us. So we have lots of catching up to do.

I'm really hoping some of that federal money announced in 2021 for active transportation (the first time ever) will be coming our way in 2022 (I'm talking to you Sohi and Boissonnault)

There is $400 million up for grabs over 5 years. I would love to know if the city has applied yet.

@thommyjo regarding that situation in Jasper place, you should contact Coun. Knack about it. He almost always responds the same day. At the same time ask him what the city is going to do about lrt safety, ha

Edit: I just contacted city bike plan director to ask for an update on city's application for that funding. I will share details (in Bike thread) when I hear back.

Last edited:
I'm really hoping some of that federal money announced in 2021 for active transportation (the first time ever) will be coming our way in 2022 (I'm talking to you Sohi and Boissonnault)

There is $400 million up for grabs over 5 years. I would love to know if the city has applied yet.

@thommyjo regarding that situation in Jasper place, you should contact Coun. Knack about it. He almost always responds the same day. At the same time ask him what the city is going to do about lrt safety, ha

Edit: I just contacted city bike plan director to ask for an update on city's application for that funding. I will share details (in Bike thread) when I hear back.
Amazing! I'd also love their contact if possible as I'm on our community league board! Feel free to dm me

Multi-use paths (as long as they're wide enough) are a solid way to get quality active transport infrastructure into neighborhoods here without a huge fuss.

I would love it if 95 St between Jasper and 118 Ave got this kind of treatment. It's wide enough to handle cars, parking, and cycling lanes (there's also plenty of parking options on adjacent roads). I also think it would open a quick and direct route downtown for commuting cyclists from the northeast, and would likely prove to be more welcoming than 96 St. I think it would also further enliven the street through Little Italy. Routing cyclists through the east end of downtown might be a challenge but it would result in more eyes on the road. Just one place I can think of.
Boyle street and McCauley are already getting a renewal, construction starts 2023. The bike infrastructure planned is very good imo.

Boyle street and McCauley are already getting a renewal, construction starts 2023. The bike infrastructure planned is very good imo.
95th Street is not within the scope of that project, unfortunately, as it's classified as an 'Arterial', which has it's own separate renewal program. I'd LOVE if the stretch between 118th and Jasper as mentioned was renewed along the lines of the 132 Avenue project - the vibe in Little Italy, around Otto and closer to 118th would be completely transformed, in a good way. It would also make my commute Downtown easier haha

95th Street is not within the scope of that project, unfortunately, as it's classified as an 'Arterial', which has it's own separate renewal program. I'd LOVE if the stretch between 118th and Jasper as mentioned was renewed along the lines of the 132 Avenue project - the vibe in Little Italy, around Otto and closer to 118th would be completely transformed, in a good way. It would also make my commute Downtown easier haha
That's too bad, but at least 96th and 92nd streets will both get new/improved bike lanes!

The draft design for Boyle Street and McCauley's redevelopment is out, and the survey is open until March 12. Here are some of the highlights.

Boyle Street One.PNG
Boyle Street Two.PNG

Boyle Street Three.PNG
Boyle Street Four.PNG

Boyle Street Five.PNG
Boyle Street Six.PNG

I fully agree with this writer. 95 St, for example, would be a much more pleasant place to be through Little Italy (and all the way to 118 Ave) if it were put on a road diet, with traffic speeds reduced by engineering narrower lanes, with perhaps a few trees, and space for bikes to separate pedestrians from the cars whizzing past. It's nice for community roads to be redone with some provision for bikes, but not dealing with the main roads (and I include 97 St through Chinatown in this) is a missed opportunity, I believe.

Back