News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Municipal Politics

To be clear, I am not either for or against topless swimming at city pools, and perhaps thats because I nor no one I have ever come across has raised this has identified this as an issue, but I do take issue with the issues this city continues to focus on. There are countless issues much more pressing and material that are requiring city resources, time and money and it blows my mind that this issue is identified as front and center for attention.

View attachment 457431
The policy change was made many months ago with zero fanfare in response to a new court ruling. The city likely would not be able to enforce a rule that said tops are required for women but not men.
This only become a big thing because someone noticed the small bit of text on a city website recently and it made the rounds on social media.

Interesting that Coun. Cartmell met with premier after budget. I'm sure UCP would love to have him as a candidate. It would be good for city, too. But I doubt that is happening. He's probably eyeing Sohi's job.

Ward pihêsiwin Coun. Tim Cartmell met with the premier after the budget was tabled Tuesday. Cartmell stressed this was an unscheduled, informal and impromptu meeting in her office and he wasn’t there to represent the city in an official capacity.

“Really just a social (meeting) honestly, it was just a post-budget, ‘Hey, how are you?’ About nothing specifically,” he told Postmedia in the legislature on Tuesday. “I did say in our little chat that (the Edmonton Public Safety and Community Response) Task Force was supposed to be about action, and we’ve only had one action, so it’s time to see a bit more stuff happen. So, I made that clear.”

Cartmell is one of two Edmonton city councillors appointed to the province’s task force meant to tackle social issues in this city. Cartmell was also briefed by provincial government staff on Alberta’s affordable housing plans in the budget.

Asked about his thoughts on Cartmell’s meeting with the premier, Sohi said it was the first he heard about it.

"Edmonton’s population growth is also showing signs of recovery, with a 2.9% increase from 2021 to 2022, reaching 1,087,803 as of July 1. That’s triple the growth from 2020 to 2021 and is the fastest growth rate since 2013 to 2014."

A big part of that I suspect is international immigration from Ukraine in the first part of 2022.
I think this tracks. Anecdotally I have noticed that I seem to run into more people walking around speaking Ukrainian these days.

There's been a very strong and proud Ukrainian community in Edmonton for a long time and a consulate here too. In terms of places in Canada for those fleeing the war to settle Edmonton is almost ideal.

In the population thread there was some graphics that most of the growth in Edmonton was from Alberta or international, not from other provinces unlike Calgary. I'm curious if there are actually people moving here from Ontario, it would be a very small amount.

In the population thread there was some graphics that most of the growth in Edmonton was from Alberta or international, not from other provinces unlike Calgary. I'm curious if there are actually people moving here from Ontario, it would be a very small amount.
That just doesn't align with the anecdotal evidence. Something's a bit off with the stats.

That just doesn't align with the anecdotal evidence. Something's a bit off with the stats.

This shows Edmonton is not getting much from outside Alberta (other than international) - it was posted in Edmonton Population thread

Screenshot_20230307-165511_Samsung Internet.jpg

Lots of people are moving here from Quebec at least. But yeah it seems that Edmonton is attracting more people from other countries

Wasn't sure exactly where to post this, but Edmonton NextGen is disbanding:

Sad to see, there's a final PKN40 and a few other events coming up as a farewell.

Sohi presented these numbers to the Premier and three ministers today.

View attachment 460448

How this discrepancy has been able to occur and just the impact that it has had and continues to have on the lives of Edmontonians is sickening.
Can anyone explain to me why Edmonton has a around a thousand fewer permanent shelter beds than Calgary, when by every one of the above measures the need is greater in Edmonton?

This shows Edmonton is not getting much from outside Alberta (other than international) - it was posted in Edmonton Population thread

View attachment 460425
Its hard to tell, but interestingly we seem to be doing ok on migration within the province. Calgary is promoted and promotes itself much more in the media in the rest of Canada, which for whatever reasons often ignores Edmonton (it is noticeably bad and has been for a long time), so the inter provincial difference is not surprising. People elsewhere in Canada often don't know much about Edmonton.

Back