News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Municipal Politics

Yeah. This is tricky. Seems bad to be against things that can help with affordable washrooms, but this is also not the purpose of the CRL from my understanding. So what’s the opportunity cost? We get a public washroom in exchange for an investment that could bring a new condo tower? Anyone understand what the implications could be here?

Yeah. This is tricky. Seems bad to be against things that can help with affordable washrooms, but this is also not the purpose of the CRL from my understanding. So what’s the opportunity cost? We get a public washroom in exchange for an investment that could bring a new condo tower? Anyone understand what the implications could be here?

It's a new council with a new mandate so I don't think its bad for council to just explore this and perhaps there are some innovative approaches to be taken here.. They are not committing to anything and at this point in time it's admin work.

Coun. Tang, in supporting the motion at this stage, stated "who's to say that affordable housing itself is not a catalyst for downtown" prosperity.

It's a new council with a new mandate so I don't think its bad for council to just explore this and perhaps there are some innovative approaches to be taken here.. They are not committing to anything and at this point in time it's admin work.

Coun. Tang, in supporting the motion at this stage, stated "who's to say that affordable housing itself is not a catalyst for downtown" prosperity.
I think that's more than fair for Councilor Tang to say. CRLs are one of very few tools that the MGA gives to cities - I think they should explore all possibilities when it comes to how they can be used.

This new city council does seem highly ideological on certain points. I thought Edmontonians sent a clear message last election by getting rid of most of the ideological candidates, yet here we are again.

i think it’s an interesting phenomenon that some people somehow think they are suddenly smarter than everyone else regarding everything else simply because they managed to get elected, not because they actually know more.

Here is a thought, instead of relying on the everyday person, photo radar, or transit for revenue, why not actively try to recruit more business and corporations to the city? I read somewhere (I cannot find it) that Edmonton has one of the higher resident tax burdens in Canada and conversely one of the lower corporates tax burdens. This city just doesn't seem interested in attracting corporations to invest in the city as do others like Vancouver or Calgary and this should be one of the big kick in the pants reasons of why they should start actively trying.

Here is state of city address.

Sohi criticized province for lack of provincial support compared to Calgary.

He highlighted we lose $14 million a year from province which doesn't pay tax on provincial buildings. And he noted how significantly more dollars were provided to YYC in infrastructure and MSI grants in budget and the huge cuts to UofA. He said province is holding Edmonton back, to applause.

Municipal Affairs minister Ric McIver was there who Sohi thanked for attending. McIver said Sohi's comments are what they are - that it's the city's job to complain about the provincial government in an attempt to secure more money.

Back