News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Municipal Politics

^
Yikes, I was afraid of this. Five strong candidates almost evenly splitting the vote and Caterina who hasn't even bothered to show up to any forums I've seen could squeak in for his 5th term on council.

Didn't even realize Matthews was a strong contender in Metis let alone the one out in front.

As I've said before, I wish we could take ideas from various mayoralty candidates and roll them into one.

Screenshot_20211010-213957_Instagram.jpg

close river valley road? that belongs in the “say what???” category. not quite as dumb as stopping west lrt but really?

Well it would be a pilot and only for weekends in July/Aug. It couldn't be for the entire stretch of road because people would still need to access Royal Glenora or Vic golf course. I wouldn't be against trying this out. It has been closed before for triathlon events. The vehicle noise down there is really pronounced.

Not going to work, I used to live on Whyte Ave. east of 99 street and used to drive down river valley road to work at a job near Mayfield Common. The river valley road is the only convenient way to get there and back.

whyte avenue has options to both avoid and to get to (particularly if you’re mobility challenged) if it’s closed.

close river valley road? that belongs in the “say what???” category. not quite as dumb as stopping west lrt but really?

Vehicular traffic there is fairly light after 6pm and on weekends (from my own anecdotal experience at least), so I think it's worth exploring at least closing off 1 lane, while keeping the other opened for the westbound traffic

whyte avenue has options to both avoid and to get to (particularly if you’re mobility challenged) if it’s closed.

Just on weekends? I don't see an issue. I get it that it's an important route on weekdays, but it's severely underused on weekends and would be nice to see it become a boulevard with street food vendors and all, at least on weekends.,
Not going to work, I used to live on Whyte Ave. east of 99 street and used to drive down river valley road to work at a job near Mayfield Common. The river valley road is the only convenient way to get there and back.
Convenient being the key word... There are other ways to get down there.

^
there is nothing being proposed that couldn’t take place between the road and the bank.

as for “other ways to get down there”, not for those who are mobility challenged (which includes families with young children).

Edmonton candidates demanding government transparency should start with their own​

As such, it is hugely disappointing to learn, less than week until election day, that barely a third of the candidates running for a council position have disclosed their list of donors

• Of the 85 candidates for mayor and councillor, 26 had posted a reasonable donor list as of Oct. 11, while three more had posted a partial list. Yes, it’s possible I missed some, but if they are hard to find, then transparency isn’t really being met.

• In the mayor’s race, Amarjeet Sohi, Diana Steele and Brian “Breezy” Gregg have lists posted, while Rick Comrie has a partial list on a GoFundMe page.

• Michael Oshry, Kim Krushell and Cheryll Watson have said they will publicize their donors this week or next weekend, potentially just hours before election day. You are free to wonder, as I have, whether this timing meets the threshold of true transparency.

• When I asked Mike Nickel about his disclosure plans, this was his response: “Several individuals who have supported my campaign … have been targeted. I won’t be giving more ammunition to these folks to target my supporters.” In other words, Nickel has decided to put his donors’ desires ahead of openness to voters. It’s highly unlikely we’ll be seeing a list from him before March.

• Of the nine council candidates Nickel has endorsed or given a shout out to, none have disclosed their donors.

• The four council candidates endorsed by Mayor Don Iveson — Ashley Salvador, Keren Tang, Ahmed Knowmadic Ali and Anne Stevenson — have all released their contribution lists.

• Among the nine council candidates who have received endorsements/support from NDP MLAs or the related labour movement, five have revealed their contributors, while one has a list with no last names, only initials (Erin Rutherford in Anirniq).

• There are two wards where no candidate has a public donor list: Sspomitapi in the southeast and Dene in the northeast.

My respect for Amarjeet Sohi, Anne Stevenson and Ashley Salvador has grown significantly.

Last edited:

Back