News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Municipal Politics

Don talks about slates.

he talks about his concerns with slates and partisan support for candidates potentially leading to blocs being formed on council but there was no mention of endorsements from existing mayors and councilors for their "preferred candidates" in the upcoming election potentially leading to blocs being formed on council. it's as if providing political capital is somehow different from providing monetary capital when in fact they are both equally valid currency in an election.

Can someone share some more details about the equalization stuff with me? I feel like I've just heard a lot of high levels explanations, but nothing in depth. Are there some good articles or economic papers that cover it comprehensively?

What are the pros and cons of continuing it as is or changing it?

Can someone share some more details about the equalization stuff with me? I feel like I've just heard a lot of high levels explanations, but nothing in depth. Are there some good articles or economic papers that cover it comprehensively?

Kenney wants the formula scrapped even though he was in Harper's cabinet when it was last adjusted in 2009.

Screenshot_20211005-170827_Instagram.jpg

I know there was a discussion somewhere on the forum about making the River Valley a national urban park but I didn't realize this was part of Sohi's platform.

Some detailed info was provided here but I can't find it - is this a good idea for Edmonton's river valley? Federal funds are always nice but does it come with any restrictions or strings that make this plan concerning?

Bottom line is a referendum on equalization doesn't really do much except get conservative voters to municipal polls.

https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/col...-mess-due-to-city-councils-impractical-dreams

🤢🤢🤢 some people really want to see this city die.

The evidence is pretty damn clear that car-centric cities are unsustainable economically, culturally, and environmentally. Not to mention car-centric impacts on health both mental and physical.

I just don't know who in their right mind walks around Edmonton's vast sprawl of parking lots and strip malls and says "this is fine".

Most don't know, don't care or like change in theory but not when it makes filling up their SUV more expensive, travel less convenient due to bike lanes or LRT and only love walkable urban centres when travelling.

https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/col...-mess-due-to-city-councils-impractical-dreams

🤢🤢🤢 some people really want to see this city die.

The evidence is pretty damn clear that car-centric cities are unsustainable economically, culturally, and environmentally. Not to mention car-centric impacts on health both mental and physical.

I just don't know who in their right mind walks around Edmonton's vast sprawl of parking lots and strip malls and says "this is fine".

"Getting people around the city has become a dividing point between planners, politicians, environmentalists and cycling activists on one hand and the rest of us – taxpayers and drivers."

Wow, truly well-spoken words from someone who obviously has consideration for "the rest of us", as in the "rest of us" who fit his ideas of hard-working worthwhile people. Cleary can't be youth, students, cyclists, transit-users, mobility-device users, elderly, lower-income or even people who have a car but choose not to use it all the time. No, they don't drive and don't pay as much taxes as him and therefore are just special interest groups who need to get out of the way of the good ol' hard workin' Albertans.

Last edited:
Lorne Gunter, Mike Nickel and their trucknut demographics want to take Edmonton back into the 20th Century.
Amarjeet Sohi wants to propel Edmonton forward into the future.
Who will you vote for as Mayor of Edmonton?

On his show Real Talk today, host Ryan Jespersen spent 10 minutes one-on-one with each of the top 4 mayoralty candidates (not Nickel, though) and asked such questions as their views on transportation and what Iveson got right and wrong during his term.

After the 4 Edmonton candidates, he did the same thing with the top 5 candidates in Calgary (Gondek, Damery, Field, Davison and Farkas). Gondek is now leading in their polls.

Here is the link if you want to check it out.

Oshry noted on the Ryan Jespersen show (link above) that at $3.1 billion operating budget (an increase of $400 million or 15% from 4 years ago), Edmonton is the most expensive big city in Canada to operate per capita.

Back