News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Municipal Politics

Iveson has been such a placebo Mayor that his endorsements ring hollow.
Did nothing for Ben Henderson in the Federal election, probably will do nothing now.
I'm still throwing my support behind Adrian, but won't be super sad if Anne wins.

I'm still throwing my support behind Adrian, but won't be super sad if Anne wins.
Anne seems incredibly qualified given her academic and professional experience, whereas I've heard Adrian has been aesthetically positioning himself as a politician for some time without meaningfully putting in the work. I believe he was asked to resign from his position on the board of the Oliver Community League because he was using his position to campaign, rather than contribute. Can I ask why you prefer him over Anne?

Also, apologies if that information is incorrect, it's second-hand but I have no reason to believe the source would purposefully lie about it.

I find it perplexing how people can speak out against party politics and slates at the municipal level and then promptly and publicly endorse candidates of their choosing. I also can’t connect the dots between the Mayor’s saying he is only providing a personal endorsement when it comes not from Don Iveson but from Mayor Don Iveson. He is also not the only one to be doing this. Some of them will not accept campaign donations from certain industries so as not to be seen to be subsequently beholden. How is this any different when there is every likelihood that these people will have to work together at some point in some capacity? Wouldn’t there be just as much potential for the future relationship to be similarly compromised or beholden regardless of whether the support is financial or non-financial? Politically, both are hard currency.

L'
As a downtown voter, I'm torn between 3 City Council candidates. Mayor Iveson endorses Stevenson, but according to Taproot I'm most compatible with Bruff followed closely by Battiste. Bruff is also under consideration since he is BIPOC but I also want to see more women voted to City Council. I also see way more Battiste signs in my hood. Whoever I vote for, it will be anyone but white male Caterina, who should retire by now.
What an ignorant thing to say. One should be voting for someone who one feels represents a similar vision for the city. Gender age and ethnicity are irrelevant.

L'

What an ignorant thing to say. One should be voting for someone who one feels represents a similar vision for the city. Gender age and ethnicity are irrelevant.
I’m not sure about this one. I agree completely that gender, age and ethnicity etc. should be irrelevant, but I also recognize that in too many areas they are not. Until they are not, I think they do become a relevant point at the ballot box, when hiring, when making up a board etc. I don’t think they should be over riding trump cards but, all other things being reasonably equal, they should be an informed part of the selection process.

Jon Dziadyk's thoughts on public transit.

As a downtown voter, I'm torn between 3 City Council candidates. Mayor Iveson endorses Stevenson, but according to Taproot I'm most compatible with Bruff followed closely by Battiste. Bruff is also under consideration since he is BIPOC but I also want to see more women voted to City Council. I also see way more Battiste signs in my hood. Whoever I vote for, it will be anyone but white male Caterina, who should retire by now.

Rather than just relying on # of signs, Iveson or who Taproot suggests, another option is this forum tonight - in person or online. It will be audience questions so craft a good one and put it out there.

Also, several of the candidates have a lot of signs - Battiste has more than anybody else on public property though which isn't the same as number of people supporting her.

Cheryll Watson• 1st2021 Edmonton Mayoral Candidate // Former Head of Innovate Edmonton // Co-Chair Startup Genome// Co-Founder Alberta Innovation Corridor // Former Global Leader @ Intuit28m • 28 minutes ago

COVID has changed everything in our lives. I’ve been consistent from the beginning of my campaign that I will be a leader that brings a fresh perspective, one that will question and challenge the status quo.

I understand that Edmontonians get frustrated when we revisit decisions - I do too - but our economic state has changed and the pandemic has called into question the greatest needs of our city.

In light of this, our decision to continue building the West leg of the Valley LRT needs to be paused.

Here’s why.

An April 2021 Statistics Canada study estimated that a transition to full telework capacity (link: https://lnkd.in/gRwXm82U) could reduce the total number of Edmonton Transit commutes in a year by 43.6%, greatly reducing the demand for public transit after the end of the pandemic.

If #yeg’s transit use falls by even a third of that number it dramatically impacts the financial model which the City has used to justify its transit investments.

I’ve been clear about two things: That I will be accountable to those I serve and that we learn important lessons from others. Cities worldwide are doing similar assessments of their investments.

Edmontonians deserve and expect leadership from their government.

Oshry and Krushell both responded in favor of pausing LRT expansion in the Taproot survey as well - Watson actually responded in favor of keeping the current expansion plan in the survey, before this little double-take.

It's an absolute deal breaker for me on all three counts.

Oshry and Krushell both responded in favor of pausing LRT expansion in the Taproot survey as well - Watson actually responded in favor of keeping the current expansion plan in the survey, before this little double-take.

It's an absolute deal breaker for me on all three counts.
There is really only one legitimate Mayoral candidate now: NICKEL (I kid)

That take from Watson will surely be the nail in the coffin for her already discombobulated campaign. Wow, I did not expect her to say something so absurd.
No kidding. The last few days have been a complete implosion of an otherwise seemingly well ran campaign. Talk about fourth quarter hail mary....

i have had a sohi sign beside my front sidewalk since the day they were available as i think he possesses all of the attributes it takes to be a really good mayor. i just hope he's not too hamstrung by a disfunctional council.

while i, like any voter, remain open to changing my mind up until i cast my early ballot and while i quite like some of the other candidates personally along with some pieces of some of their platforms, i think sohi is far and away the best choice for what's in his platform, what's in his record, what's in his mind and what's in his heart. he is truly a kind and considerate man and that's something we don't give enough credit to often enough.

Back