News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Municipal Politics

^^^^ @Avenuer I have to call BS -- when does it matter what is best for the City! City Planning is the least aware of what is best for the City; at some point I am going to have to rescue you from a career of non-significance and ensconce you on the avant-garde side of the equation that makes a real difference for society.

I had a scheduled chat with Cheryll Watson today, which is open and available to anyone that you can book on her website. She was willing to discuss issues that I felt were pressing for the city and she provided well thought out responses backed by examples and anecdotes of what she has done. While she alluded to her lack of political background, I do not feel that that is a weakness given we have seen career politicians (Iveson, Nickel, for example) and what they have, or haven't accomplished.

I was quite satisfied with our chat, I encourage all to reach out regardless of if you support her or not just to hear her thoughts on matters important to you (see bottom of the link for appointment scheduling):

https://www.cheryllwatson.ca/platform

I found sohi quite frustrating to listen to. His tone felt condescending and I didn't hear anything strong from him. I think he's just riding his resume, whereas Cheryl is actually driving a platform forward.

I still like sohi's connections. But Cheryl nailed it when she said the mayor is the city brand ambassador. And I like her demeanor and imagination for that. Some ignorance to city politics can actually bring benefits...she'll push against systems and bloated city management hopefully.

I found sohi quite frustrating to listen to. His tone felt condescending and I didn't hear anything strong from him. I think he's just riding his resume, whereas Cheryl is actually driving a platform forward.

I still like sohi's connections. But Cheryl nailed it when she said the mayor is the city brand ambassador. And I like her demeanor and imagination for that. Some ignorance to city politics can actually bring benefits...she'll push against systems and bloated city management hopefully.
Not sure that City management is actually bloated. I think it is a red herring. I mean this is a region that will soon be pushing 2 million souls. Arguing over whether the City budget should be $3.7 billion or $4billion is kind of beside the point, in all honesty.

But if Cheryl can drive outcomes...that is what matters.

Not sure that City management is actually bloated. I think it is a red herring. I mean this is a region that will soon be pushing 2 million souls. Arguing over whether the City budget should be $3.7 billion or $4billion is kind of beside the point, in all honesty.

But if Cheryl can drive outcomes...that is what matters.
A city report just a few months ago identified that there were multiple cases of people having 2 managers and it led to some 70 positions being cut.

If that sort of stuff is happening and not being caught for years....its bloated.

No one looking at budgets closely and keeping a tight reign on spending lets that happen in a business. Sadly its a well known fact that governments manage finances with much less caution than businesses because companies go bankrupt more easily than cities that can keep raising taxes 🙃

20210803_080247.jpg

Sohi well out in front. Good to see Nickel only at10% . Almost half of voters undecided but I would be surprised if Mike picks up much of that.

I suspect (with no real evidence) that the eventual Nickel voters are already already very much decided. He's a polarizing figure - not the kind of candidate that anyone is on the fence about.

Back