4.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 1.2K     0 

Miscellaneous

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score

I hope 2 things:

1. The EERSS is able to open again somewhere else and can continue to provide emergency relief services
2. This building does not sit neglected for long or is not demolished given our track record of demolishing and leaving empty lots

Anyone have insights if there has been a private buyer here?
A couple of developers have inquired about this site and I know that one had tried to work a deal out but it fell through.

David A

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't have any insight here, but I expect getting rid of the long term occupant is the first step to redeveloping the site.

This whole thing is a big mess in my opinion. Even Not for Profit organizations need to budget for rent and that rent needs to cover the cost of maintaining the building.

However, if this organization shuts down, the cost of doing what it did will probably be borne by the Government in the end, so is there really a savings here, other than perhaps a one time windfall from selling the land and building?

Aaron_Lloyd

Member Bio
Reaction score
Westmount supportive housing construction is coming along:
20211016_153803.jpg

20211016_153920.jpg

Gronk!

Member Bio
Reaction score
Chateau Lacombe is finally open again after closing in March 2020. I think their reopening was in September.
They just need to get their parkade entrances working again.
Moreover, they still haven't finished their exterior recladding, which should have been finished about 4 years ago!

_urbanite

Member Bio
Reaction score
The retreat to the towers continues, I think in response to increasing social disorder at street level downtown.

The organization that in part is to promote more lively street front retail downtown has admitted defeat?

I think Melcor has plans to re-imagine the podium, so I think it probably has more to do with that than anything

Last edited:

David A

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think Melcor has plans to re-imagine the podium, so I think it probably has more to do with that then anything
I don't know what prompted their move and have no idea what plans Melcor has, or if anything will really actually ever happen there.

One of the things I did like was the DBA was accessible from the street. If such an organization wants to encourage retails businesses to open street front locations, I think it should have got another such location. Goodness knows there is no shortage of such empty space in the area.

Retreating to the tower, gives a message, perhaps unintended of "I give up".

nv96

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't know what prompted their move and have no idea what plans Melcor has, or if anything will really actually ever happen there.

One of the things I did like was the DBA was accessible from the street. If such an organization wants to encourage retails businesses to open street front locations, I think it should have got another such location. Goodness knows there is no shortage of such empty space in the area.

Retreating to the tower, gives a message, perhaps unintended of "I give up".
To the ivory towers they go!

Gronk!

Member Bio
Reaction score
To be honest, I was hoping for a pedway connection to be built between Bell and HSBC. Maybe there'll be a pedway connection between ECC and Stantec once the renovations are underway but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:

thommyjo

Member Bio
Reaction score
To be honest, I was hoping for a pedway connection to be built between Bell and HSBC. Maybe there'll be a pedway connection between ECC and Stantec once the renovations are underway but I won't hold my breath.
Do you all think pedways are helpful or hurtful for edmonton? Part of me thinks they contribute to empty streets, but as a former user while at MNP, they sure are nice on cold days! I just wonder how much activity they move inside during non -20 or colder days and even summer months.

David A

Member Bio
Reaction score
Do you all think pedways are helpful or hurtful for edmonton? Part of me thinks they contribute to empty streets, but as a former user while at MNP, they sure are nice on cold days! I just wonder how much activity they move inside during non -20 or colder days and even summer months.
I think you are right, they probably do contribute to less street activity, especially on cold days.

I recall in pre COVID days how busy some of them would be, more so in winter, but I think lots of people just continue to use them in the summer even when it is nice out, perhaps out of habit.