News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

LRT - former plans, ideas, routes etc.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Tada

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 8.06.32 AM.png

If the Capital Line wasn't built underground through Downtown, I wonder if our current system would more closely reflect the 1972 plan (using the CPR ROW south of the river and the 104 Avenue rail ROW)?

I think it definitely would've, and our system would've grown at the same pace, or maybe even faster than Calgary's 😉, as it looks like it would've followed the rail ROWs in downtown at the time. It's fun to think of the parallel universes that could've happened, but in the end there's something about our underground LRT that I just... love. The underground stations have so much character imo, and Corona is my favourite station on the LRT with those chandeliers and shiny walls ☺️. And you know what? Even though doing that slowed us down in the past, we still managed to start growing out our system in the end and we'll have quite the efficient one too, with 2 lines underground and 1 above as opposed to, just randomly for example... Calgary with 2 above ground and 1 under.

Actually I do question if we would have had our system built considering the attitude that that was held by city council for a long time. It just seemed that there was very little interest in expanding the LRT system here in Edmonton until we had a city council that was led by Mandel. We definitely could have had a very interesting system, I wonder what the city would have looked like if the LRT had been built out a long time ago. I have no doubt that development would have been different because of the location of LRT.

I think it definitely would've, and our system would've grown at the same pace, or maybe even faster than Calgary's 😉, as it looks like it would've followed the rail ROWs in downtown at the time. It's fun to think of the parallel universes that could've happened, but in the end there's something about our underground LRT that I just... love. The underground stations have so much character imo, and Corona is my favourite station on the LRT with those chandeliers and shiny walls ☺️. And you know what? Even though doing that slowed us down in the past, we still managed to start growing out our system in the end and we'll have quite the efficient one too, with 2 lines underground and 1 above as opposed to, just randomly for example... Calgary with 2 above ground and 1 under.
Which line other than the Capital Line will be located underground? As far as current plans go, only a small portion of Valley Line SE will be underground from the Quarters to Tawatina Bridge and the existing Metro Line tunnel from Churchill Station to Macewan Station.

Actually I do question if we would have had our system built considering the attitude that that was held by city council for a long time. It just seemed that there was very little interest in expanding the LRT system here in Edmonton until we had a city council that was led by Mandel.
I think that the attitude was partially fueled by the slower, underground expansion which wasn't showing results ridership-wise (and honestly really wouldn't until the Century Park extension) but if the system was able to have bigger expansions getting the lines out faster I think it would've been different.

We definitely could have had a very interesting system, I wonder what the city would have looked like if the LRT had been built out a long time ago. I have no doubt that development would have been different because of the location of LRT.
The city's development pattern would've for sure been different! For example, the whole Mill Woods area would've probably been more dense and been built around the LRT.

Which line other than the Capital Line will be located underground? As far as current plans go, only a small portion of Valley Line SE will be underground from the Quarters to Tawatina Bridge and the existing Metro Line tunnel from Churchill Station to Macewan Station.
I'm saying that the Capital and Metro lines both share the underground section and the Valley line is above ground, as opposed to in Calgary where the Red and Blue lines share 7th street above ground and only the green line would be underground.

Back