2.6K     0 

Latta and Kinnaird Bridge Replacements

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
More fun getting Downtown.

Latta Bridge (B027) Replacement
Project Website Project Website
Budget - The project is currently on budget.

Schedule - The project is currently on schedule.

Scope - The project is within the scope approved in the project charter.

Description:

The Latta Bridge is slated to be replaced and Kinnaird Bridge is slated to be rehabilitated with construction starting in 2022. Latta Bridge is located along Jasper Avenue; northeast of 91 Street and southwest of 90 Street. A Condition Assessment, Load Evaluation, and Management Strategy Report (attached) was completed in December 2019 for Latta Bridge, which recommended full replacement of the bridge.
Latest Update:

Detailed Design Is anticipated to be completed in November 2021. Construction to begin in spring of 2022 and be completed in fall of 2023. Note that a total closure of Jasper Avenue over Latta Bridge is required during construction. Detour routes will be advertised well in advance of construction.
Contact Information:

Email: loli.fernandez@edmonton.ca
Phone: 780-619-9430

Approved Schedule

December, 2023
Forecasted Schedule

December, 2023
Approved Budget

$21.21 million
Forecasted Budget

$21.21 million
---

Kinnaird Bridge (B024) Rehabilitation​

Project Website
Project Website

Budget - The project is currently on budget.​

Schedule - The project is currently on schedule.​

Scope - The project is within the scope approved in the project charter.​

Description:​

The project scope includes the preliminary design and detailed design for the rehabilitation of Kinnaird Bridge.

Latest Update:​

The detailed design is to be completed by November 2021. Construction will occur in conjunction with Latta Bridge replacement, in 2022 and 2023.

Contact Information:​

Email: loli.fernandez@edmonton.ca
Phone:780-619-9430

Approved Schedule​

October, 2023​

Forecasted Schedule​

October, 2023​

Approved Budget​

$2.08 million​

Forecasted Budget​

$2.08 million​

Project Update - June 2022​

Detailed design for the bridge rehabilitation is complete. Construction on the Kinnaird Bridge is anticipated to begin spring 2023.

Construction details:

• Bridge deck, sidewalk, and barrier repairs
  • Approach slab upgrades
  • Regrading under bridge
  • Painting bottom of piers and sidewalk supports
  • Landscaping: tree and shrub restoration and soil clean-up
One lane of traffic in both directions and one sidewalk will remain open at all times, where possible. Alternative routes for pedestrians, cyclists, motorists and transit will be shared closure to construction dates.

Thank you to those who attended either of our information sessions on June 15 and June 16 to learn about the upcoming construction plans!

Latta Bridge re-opens on Oct 29

Dangit, its been nice having that stretch of Jasper be so quiet. Was selfishly hoping it would be delayed till spring.....

Ah well, good on CoE for completing on time/budget.

Dangit, its been nice having that stretch of Jasper be so quiet. Was selfishly hoping it would be delayed till spring.....

Ah well, good on CoE for completing on time/budget.
I really wish they had taken the opportunity to give that stretch of Jasper a real road diet. Clearly we don't need all those lanes for cars.
Instead It should have had a nice wide prominent pedestrian promenade overlooking the valley.

I really wish they had taken the opportunity to give that stretch of Jasper a real road diet. Clearly we don't need all those lanes for cars.
Instead It should have had a nice wide prominent pedestrian promenade overlooking the valley.
I mean, as much as I am usually in favour of road diets, Jasper only has two lanes each way, effectively, unless you're counting that weird protected lane on the north side of the road, which is basically used for parking.
Less than 2 lanes each way for Jasper Ave, at any point, wouldn't make sense to me.

I mean, as much as I am usually in favour of road diets, Jasper only has two lanes each way, effectively, unless you're counting that weird protected lane on the north side of the road, which is basically used for parking.
Less than 2 lanes each way for Jasper Ave, at any point, wouldn't make sense to me.
If we were talking about Jasper through downtown it'd be one thing, but it's pretty clear that having zero capacity for a while on the eastern section of Jasper hasn't broken the city, so reducing road capacity in this stretch should also be fine. Throw in a few left turn lanes to prevent backups and 2 lanes should be plenty for this stretch.

If we were talking about Jasper through downtown it'd be one thing, but it's pretty clear that having zero capacity for a while on the eastern section of Jasper hasn't broken the city, so reducing road capacity in this stretch should also be fine. Throw in a few left turn lanes to prevent backups and 2 lanes should be plenty for this stretch.
I honestly take more grievance with the left turning lanes than with having 4 lanes.

I'd be okay if they just narrowed the lanes, maybe added a median with some trees, wider sidewalks, etc. You have to remember that Stadium Yards is building up full steam, and we've got a couple of towers proposed for that area, so we could see a substantial increase in traffic in not too long, and reducing the road's capacity doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

There's plenty of space for the promenade you proposed, especially with some lane narrowing.

I'll have to embark on a Sunday drive by for a closer look, but I'm almost certain that the MUPs were widened.

Kinda, they were widening the sidewalks on the bridge itself. However, the once you get 80m away from the bridge they are right back to the narrow useless sidewalks. I do not believe it is actually classified as a MUP. Completely missed the opportunity when they did the neighborhood renewal a couple of years back.

Back