7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Keep 102 Ave closed to vehicles

Can't wait.

DSC00928.JPG
DSC00929.JPG
DSC00925.JPG

I'm so glad this was an unanimous vote by city council. Just imagine what the prior city council would have accomplished with the likes of Mike Nickel and Jon Dziadyk.
That's absolutely beautiful news! And I love that instead of *just* looking at this specific stretch, they're asking admin to look at the entire 102 ave corridor along the downtown VLSE - from the Chinatown portal to the final stop. Open-minded and proactive thinking about prioritizing non-vehicular street use? From a majority on this council? I'm at a loss for words!

That's absolutely beautiful news! And I love that instead of *just* looking at this specific stretch, they're asking admin to look at the entire 102 ave corridor along the downtown VLSE - from the Chinatown portal to the final stop. Open-minded and proactive thinking about prioritizing non-vehicular street use? From a majority on this council? I'm at a loss for words!
Honestly news like this genuinely makes me very optimistic about the direction of the city in the next four years. Hopefully things like this are pushed forward faster. The fact it's unanimous is amazing as well.

Honestly news like this genuinely makes me very optimistic about the direction of the city in the next four years. Hopefully things like this are pushed forward faster. The fact it's unanimous is amazing as well.
Right?? Maybe it's ok that the Valley Line is delayed. Ok not really, I'm still crying myself to sleep over that last one. But at least council is taking advantage of it to try and make an informed decision on this before it opens. Imagine it when the VLSE opens, we had a pedestrian-only corridor ready to go along with the new LRT!

I dunno. Maybe I'm dense, but I still don't see the immediate need for closing down the driving lanes. I can see it evolving to that in the future, but, not now. And, I get the induced demand argument, but I don't see that helping either (it hasn't helped for the Armature (96 st)). However, I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

102 Ave has already been closed for a few years now due to the Valley Line LRT construction therefore the city should just keep it as-is (except for fence removal and bollard installation). It doesn't make sense to me to re-open the road to traffic and then re-close it again.

I dunno. Maybe I'm dense, but I still don't see the immediate need for closing down the driving lanes. I can see it evolving to that in the future, but, not now. And, I get the induced demand argument, but I don't see that helping either (it hasn't helped for the Armature (96 st)). However, I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
Bottom line is: if we reopen it to cars, traffic will adjust accordingly and in a few years, when "it makes sense" to close it, there will be public outcry and the likes of some folks who'll argue that we need this vital piece of thoroughfare (insert sarcastic tone).
If we keep it closed, we will have guaranteed it and, if it doesn't work, after all, it is easier to open it than the opposite.

I really hope this review identifies additional opportunities going forward but lets it open as intended.

As mentioned before, have trial closures on a few weekends and explore what options could make this a vibrant pedestrian zone in a few years or simply on occasion.

Back