Jasper Gates Redevelopment | 90m | 30s | RioCan | Stantec

What do you think of this proposal?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
^the area couldn't even support the 7-11 across the street from the old IGA, nor, it seems, the Anatoli Food store as they haven't rebuilt in the area for several years since the fire.

There’s also a ton of Safeways in this area. That might have been part of it with meadowlark just south, 170th street west and the new jasper ave one east.

D37FECF4-C980-4985-9539-D9BA53F045B1.png

There’s also a ton of Safeways in this area. That might have been part of it with meadowlark just south, 170th street west and the new jasper ave one east.

View attachment 395318
But you're not thinking from the perspective of a senior who used to have a full-service Safeway on her doorstep and now faces a lengthy bus ride or costly taxi ride to Meadowlark or Terra Losa. A lot of people in the area don't drive and it's tough to take groceries on a bus.

^the area couldn't even support the 7-11 across the street from the old IGA, nor, it seems, the Anatoli Food store as they haven't rebuilt in the area for several years since the fire.
The 7-11 closed because of proximity to the one at the Esso three blocks west. The parent company of 7-11 took over many of Esso's convenience stores and converted them to its own banner. Had nothing to do with the "ability" of the neighbourhood to support a store.
Anatoli relocated to the industrial area near Norden VW.

But you're not thinking from the perspective of a senior who used to have a full-service Safeway on her doorstep and now faces a lengthy bus ride or costly taxi ride to Meadowlark or Terra Losa. A lot of people in the area don't drive and it's tough to take groceries on a bus.
What's the solution here? Force Safeway to maintain all stores they operate? How would that work?

What's the solution here? Force Safeway to maintain all stores they operate? How would that work?
I never said Sobeys should be forced to maintain a given location in a particular neighbourhood. But local political and community leaders should work to attract a replacement for what has been lost. As I stated, there is still a large vacant site on SPR where a full-service grocer could be situated.

While they're at it, they should work to get a return of a bank branch now that TD has pulled out of Jasper Gates. It's all about ensuring the community has the services it needs within its own boundaries.

I never said Sobeys should be forced to maintain a given location in a particular neighbourhood. But local political and community leaders should work to attract a replacement for what has been lost. As I stated, there is still a large vacant site on SPR where a full-service grocer could be situated.
That's a good point. I'm not familiar with the area, but food deserts are a big problem nowadays, and it might be high time that governments stop assuming that "the free market" will take care of things on its own. Maybe there's some sort of tax incentive the city could offer a full service grocer?

Also, I don't think I said this to you yet, so welcome to the forum! Feel free to introduce yourself here :)

Last edited:
I love "food desserts" (apple cobbler, banana split, and flapper pie are at the top of my list) -- food deserts not so much.
I have no idea what you're talking about ;)
(But I could go for a banana split right about now!)

While they're at it, they should work to get a return of a bank branch now that TD has pulled out of Jasper Gates. It's all about ensuring the community has the services it needs within its own boundaries.
Perhaps you could spearhead that effort?

That's a good point. I'm not familiar with the area, but food deserts are a big problem nowadays, and it might be high time that governments stop assuming that "the free market" will take care of things on its own. Maybe there's some sort of tax incentive the city could offer a full service grocer?

Also, I don't think I said this to you yet, so welcome to the forum! Feel free to introduce yourself here :)
I'm glad you brought up the problem of food deserts. There has been an ongoing issue in certain neighbourhoods with caveats. For example, in the 1990s when Canada Safeway (as it was then) closed its store at 66 St and 118 Ave, the company maintained a caveat on the property that prevented another grocer from using that site. This was a great frustration to residents in the area--Safeway was not only forcing them to go out of their neighbourhood (to either 82 St Coliseum Safeway or 32 St Abbotsfield) to get services and goods that were once available in the neighbourhood, but was actively PREVENTING other retailers from using that site to meet those needs. The building sat unused for many years.

Caveats became such an issue that many community activists across Western Canada lobbied the federal Competition Bureau, which had to review Sobeys' acquisition of Canada Safeway, to require Sobeys to relinquish any caveats it (and Safeway) still held on former supermarket sites, as a condition for the deal. (Regrettably the Bureau did not order that.)

A similar problem--though not exactly a desert, since Northgate Safeway is right across the street, is the lack of a supermarket in Griesbach. Prior to the Safeway transaction, Sobeys held a site in the Village. It no longer needed the land after buying Safeway, but reportedly still refuses to sell or relinquish it, thus preventing another grocer from moving into the affected area.

Save on Foods Delivery is the Cat's Pyjamas if you're a senior citizen or a lazy mo-fo like me.

Back