News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Jasper Avenue New Vision / Imagine Jasper Avenue

I've found Monday commutes to be less busy post-COVID. I think anyone with a hybrid work model is working from home on Mondays and Fridays. Tuesday/Wednesday commutes seem much busier.

I've found Monday commutes to be less busy post-COVID. I think anyone with a hybrid work model is working from home on Mondays and Fridays. Tuesday/Wednesday commutes seem much busier.

Federal workers started returning to work at Canada Place today and Puneeta McBryan from EDBA says she's noticing more people downtown every week.

That said I don't think downtown commutes on any day will be as busy pre-covid for a long time - although as noted some days are busier that others.

Last edited:
Every
Bit
Helps

*I loved listening to the union head talking about how 2-3 days a week is essentially punitive and that they should have bespoke schedules for EVERY federal employee... yup... that's what she said on the radio.

I work for a non-government company dt with 1,200 employees and we are staying largely wfh although I'm going in more often now as I can walk to work.
But our company has never had more job applications - a lot of government employees applying as they are attracted to the work arrangement and flexibility.

Unintended consequences.

Time to sign up for a gov-job and work towards that delicious pension.

Can be like golden handcuffs.
I'll take these handcuffs any time you ask me.
I am not going to say I'd advocate to end WFH, but I do think it is a step back in so many ways, and that it'll be too late when we realize the actual extent of the damage it will do to us, as a society.

The first banners, from what I have seen, up on two poles on 97 Street, NE corner of Canada Place. Taken Wednesday this past week. I wonder how long it is going to take to get all of these installed?
20230215_123251.jpg
20230215_123244.jpg

Last edited:
I like a them, but dislike how many of them there are and how little imagination there is with them compared to the old ones that were various artists.

I walked much of Downtown and was overwhelmed by these and after the 20th one it is a bit amateur hour; hundreds of these make little sense.

Be creative, colourful and have these at the block ends or something.

Alas.

Can someone please tell me the point of renewing these spaces when but a few years after opening, the City uses asphalt to 'patch' multiple sections of stone that are 5x5sqft +, don't replace furniture that's removed for some of that work, leave marble benches broken and have left the promised decorative lighting incomplete for almost a decade now.

100-102st looks terrible and is less than a decade old

Can someone please tell me the point of renewing these spaces when but a few years after opening, the City uses asphalt to 'patch' multiple sections of stone that are 5x5sqft +, don't replace furniture that's removed for some of that work, leave marble benches broken and have left the promised decorative lighting incomplete for almost a decade now.

100-102st looks terrible and is less than a decade old

Look at Jasper Ave between 99st and 97st. That stretch literally renewed a year ago and already one of the centre medians has a blown out chunk of concrete with exposed rebar sticking out. It should be a quick and easy fix but nope, still standing in its current sad state.

What can we did about this? File a complaint to 311?

Things age, wear, deteriorate, but who is overseeing these spaces once the are complete?

Honestly, I counted 3 or 4 significant areas that were patched with asphalt in 2017-18 and recall being told that 'within 2yrs' these will get repaired properly and to the standard they were built to, but I can guarantee they are on nobody's radar and similar to the ones along 102st or Jasper or the Heritage Trail where these get patched, left and are not cared for or restored until 25yrs later when we rip it up again and apply the latest urban design aesthetic.

Look at Jasper Ave between 99st and 97st. That stretch literally renewed a year ago and already one of the centre medians has a blown out chunk of concrete with exposed rebar sticking out. It should be a quick and easy fix but nope, still standing in its current sad state.

What can we did about this? File a complaint to 311?
311 and email to Coun. Stevenson - just copy and paste what you end up posting in here. Or better yet, post there first and copy and paste to here.

Back