News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Jasper Avenue New Vision / Imagine Jasper Avenue

Some of you guys keep thinking that the car will disappear in the future, perhaps in 70 years but not in 10. It is risky to gamble on what the future will be like, please leave that to magazines like Popular Mechanics.
We're bot saying that we should have one lane each way and make Jasper a promenade.

Narrower lanes (to help keeping the speeds at the 40km/h, which is just not happening... People are still driving at 60 km/h all around), wider sidewalks (with trees, maybe?) and replacing the turning lane with a bike lane (circling the block never hurt anyone). We can keep the 2 lanes in each direction, the parking, everything...
Just put it on a diet, make it friendlier to pedestrians an cyclists too...

Of Canada's major cities

Edmonton

* HIGHEST - city budget per capita
* LOWEST - population density
* HIGHEST - volume of roadway per capita
* LOWEST - commute times
* HIGHEST - carbon emissions per capita

You reap what you sew. We continue to focus on roads for personal vehicles and sprawl and that's the kinds of highest/lowest outcomes you will get.

I just find it puzzling why people get concerned about taking some vehicle lanes away now for other modes of transportation with figures like those above and that the city will fall apart if we do.

Screenshot_20211008-215033_Samsung Internet.jpg

Of Canada's major cities

Edmonton

* LOWEST - commute times

You reap what you sew. We continue to focus on roads for personal vehicles and sprawl and that's the kinds of highest/lowest outcomes you will get.

I just find it puzzling why people get concerned about taking some vehicle lanes away now for other modes of transportation with figures like those above and that the city will fall apart if we do.

View attachment 354678
Exactly! And that wasn't even the suggestion here, at least not mine, Ted's or anyone else's, in the last few posts.
But well, it appears that no one os thinking of the poor car commuters in Edmonton, anymore! Poor little cry babies. 😒😒

Has this statue always been on this corner? The base says 1989 but I can't recall ever seeing this

"The Merchant"
It looks like it stood outside of Sun Life Place, right across from the Citadel. Must've been carted off into storage when they did its renos awhile back.

From Streetview:
Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 5.21.24 PM.jpg

Of Canada's major cities

Edmonton

* LOWEST - commute times

View attachment 354678
That lowest commute times listing may be a bit misleading. It's not like we really have a lot of freeways going downtown, like some cities. Edmonton is not a city with as concentrated number of people working downtown, as many people in the suburban areas often work in nearby industrial ones. However, it does show that travel time is not a big problem here, so we can probably make adjustments accordingly.

I actually think density is perhaps a more important issue. We do seem to have a lot of room to improve on this here and well placed more dense developments such as TOD can reduce reliance on auto travel.

Back