News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Jasper Avenue New Vision / Imagine Jasper Avenue

So The Epcor road work has reviled another building foundation.

JA2.jpg

JA1.jpg

^ I'm almost certain it's from one of two buildings: the Fraser Block or the Hutchings Block. They stood three and five lots west of the intersection at 99th and Jasper, respectively. 99th was realigned in 1975, hence why it's now under the street.

View attachment 365582View attachment 365585
Good dig. I'm thinking its possibly the second shot. The first one looks like its lined up in the current Alberta Hotel site. Looking at the back ground in the photos.

^^

you can see the top of chancery place in your first image and the top of century place in the second which helps orient you to where it was taken.

this one also shows exactly where the mandarin gardens stood on jasper and which to my eye is about the middle of where rue hull/99th is currently aligned:

EA-802-45.jpg

^^

you can see the top of chancery place in your first image and the top of century place in the second which helps orient you to where it was taken.

this one also shows exactly where the mandarin gardens stood on jasper and which to my eye is about the middle of where rue hull/99th is currently aligned:

EA-802-45.jpg
Yup that's a better image. You can see MacDonald place across the street there.

Yeah, it's probably the Hutchings or the neighbouring building, which housed Johnstone Walker's Department Store. When roughly laid over some recent satellite imagery, this 1925 fire insurance plan shows that the two of them met somewhere near the middle of present-day 99th Street. The Fraser looks to be closer to 9888 Jasper. Gives a good idea how far over 99th was shifted.

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 11.48.21 AM (3).jpg

Last edited:

Back