Groat Road Bridges

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
City plans rehab work on Groat Road Bridges
November 22, 2016

The City of Edmonton is planning to rehabilitate three bridges in the Groat Road area during the summer of 2018. Edmontonians are invited to a public information session to see plans for the work and to provide feedback.

Date: Tuesday, November 29, 2016
Time: 4 - 8 p.m.
The bridges are:

• Groat Road Bridge over the North Saskatchewan River
  • Groat Road Bridge over Victoria Park Road
  • Emily Murphy Park Road Bridge over Groat Road (Mayfair Bridge)
The bridges are in generally good condition, but are in need of major rehabilitation. They were built in the 1950s and 1960s. The project will also include the reconfiguration of the Groat Road interchange north of the river.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/groatroadbridges

Media contact:
Kelly Fitzgibbon
Communications Advisor
Integrated Infrastructure Services
780-496-2812

http://www.mailoutinteractive.com/Industry/View.aspx?id=865780&q=1119194156&qz=9ebba8

Pre-construction information session for Groat Road Bridges and Road renewal
3JLGAX-RuToRMZ9h5tVKAzDX194GTKBvEaqPT5wsDVNB68D71-giOctj1kLeZbrXukdQn4CWT-mbgGsp9rz45Sevtc4EMqlAZGdCwB4bMkxXQUf824BIidS5bgOzdqZXOA3sJ-FMT5ys8uo=s0-d-e1-ft

March 6, 2018

The City of Edmonton is undertaking the rehabilitation of three Groat Road Bridges and Groat Road from 87 Avenue to the North Saskatchewan River, with construction set to begin in April 2018. Citizens are invited to attend a pre-construction information session to learn more about the proposed work, traffic and pedestrian accommodation, and project timing.

Date: Wednesday, March 7, 2018
Time: 4 - 8 p.m.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/GroatRoadBridges

Media contact:
Adriana Amelio
Communications Advisor
Integrated Infrastructure Services
780-496-2821

This has been speeeeding along this year. things are wrapping up, I was crossing today nad i overheard a couple workers talking about the roadway portion, which is having lanes painted on it today. They were saying things will be all open by end of October. The new path is huge, at least as wide as the West Walterdale path, 10'-12' wide at least. It just needs final pavement and a bit of concrete work at each end. I think landscaping is a bit farther behind, but lo, they kept their word, and are reinstalling the stone veneer! it looks rally nice. I'm excited to have this reopened. It's been a really impressive bit of logistics replacing this bridge!
IMG_9668.JPG

YASSSS we love that 10-12 foot wide path after 3 years of 3 feet both directions 😂

YASSSS we love that 10-12 foot wide path after 3 years of 3 feet both directions 😂
lol has it been three years? I might be the only person in the city who feels this way, but this project has gone suuuper fast for me. like, they straight-up REPLACED A BRIDGE one half at a time WHILE TRAFFIC WAS USING IT. idk. i've enjoyed it being closed at night. I miiiiight have walked the length of the ravine on the K wall once or twice? having it all go back to normal will be boring for me. But better for everyone else who uses the bridge. so it's okay. anyways. yeah, that new path will be super nice. and I can't remember exactly from the maps for the project (which don't seem to match the roads being built, i am a bit lost with them tbh) but i think a pedestrian light at the connection from River Valley Road to the Groat Bridge path is in the plans. if so, that would be super nice, making that transfer is Frogger but with higher stakes rn. 0/10 do not enjoy.

lol has it been three years? I might be the only person in the city who feels this way, but this project has gone suuuper fast for me. like, they straight-up REPLACED A BRIDGE one half at a time WHILE TRAFFIC WAS USING IT. idk. i've enjoyed it being closed at night. I miiiiight have walked the length of the ravine on the K wall once or twice? having it all go back to normal will be boring for me. But better for everyone else who uses the bridge. so it's okay. anyways. yeah, that new path will be super nice. and I can't remember exactly from the maps for the project (which don't seem to match the roads being built, i am a bit lost with them tbh) but i think a pedestrian light at the connection from River Valley Road to the Groat Bridge path is in the plans. if so, that would be super nice, making that transfer is Frogger but with higher stakes rn. 0/10 do not enjoy.
Oh, but doing this in 3 years IS super fast. Gotta admit, I'll enjoy using the brand new bridge, is going to make my commute so much easier that I'm really excited for it to open (and to be fair, all I know is the current "in construction" Groat Bridge)

I think landscaping is a bit farther behind, but lo, they kept their word, and are reinstalling the stone veneer! it looks rally nice. I'm excited to have this reopened. It's been a really impressive bit of logistics replacing this bridge!View attachment 274066
Bit of a weird tangent, but I love that they're reinstalling the abutment's fieldstone. It's not much, but as one of the few detailing elements to the original design, it's nice to see the City put in the effort to properly recreate it. I imagine it would've been really easy to just keep it plain concrete. Small details really go a long way to telling a things history and stonework like this links the Groat to other City-led projects from the era, like the nearby Emily Murphy Park Pavilion, or the Queen Elizabeth Planetarium.

For anyone interested in a bit of history (as if I don't already spout enough) here's the paper from its original opening, almost exactly sixty-five years ago:
20201029_035547.jpg

Last edited:
Bit of a weird tangent, but I love that they're reinstalling the abutment's fieldstone. It's not much, but as one of the few detailing elements to the original design, it's nice to see the City put in the effort to properly recreate it. I imagine it would've been really easy to just keep it plain concrete. Small details really go a long way to telling a things history and stonework like this links the Groat to other City-led projects from the era, like the nearby Emily Murphy Park Pavilion, or the Queen Elizabeth Planetarium.

For anyone interested in a bit of history (as if I don't already spout enough) here's the paper from it's original opening, almost exactly sixty-five years ago:
View attachment 279576
One funny thing is how they talk about it linking two western portions of the city 🤣
Interesting to think how 65 years and that's now linking parts of the central area. Goes to show how much Edmonton has grown (and how much the bridge needed the rebuild)

Sorry, this morning was just the media event, the actual full reopening is on Sunday:

The bridge will reopen to four lanes of traffic and a wider (4.2m) shared use path on Sunday, ready for Monday morning commuters.

via email news release

Sorry, this morning was just the media event, the actual full reopening is on Sunday:
via email news release
YOU GOT ME ALL EXCITED. i was just about to post that i was on there an hour ago and it was still closed. lol. now i have weekend plans!
@ChazYEG ikr it's wild. My parents house is on the West side of 127 street, which is now the heart of Westmount. 127 USED TO BE THE WESTERN EDGE CITY BOUNDARY. in like 1905. but yeah, the spread is wild. I get tripped up when older people say 'Southeast Edmonton' about Bonny Doon. to young whippersnappers like myself that's 'the weird french area east of strathcona' lol

Okay. Bridge is actually open (I think i actually got there as the first few cars southbound were being let through!) it is so nice. it is so wiiiiiiiide. the path is hugungeous, people are able to walk in groups and bikes can pass comfortably without people needing to huddle over. It's gorgeous. Also, the speed limit on the bridge is back to 60. so we can get back to people racing up the ravine at 65 ( ...yaaayyyy... ) all in all, this turned out so nice!
IMG_9904.JPG
IMG_9905.JPG
IMG_9913.JPG

Back