Gallagher Park

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Share your feedback on concept options for Gallagher Park
September 16, 2019

Come see and provide input on the future of Gallagher Park at a drop-in public engagement session.

Date: Wednesday, September 18
Time: 4:30 - 7:30 p.m.

Feedback gathered at the engagement session will be used to help finalize a concept for the future of Gallagher Park.

Gallagher Park plays a pivotal role in the river valley parks system. It provides a venue for year-round recreation, leisure, sports and festivals in the core of our city. Folk Fest, winter activities and a visit to the Muttart Conservatory are all part of the Gallagher Park experience.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/gallagherparkconceptplan

Interesting. I wonder what they are thinking concept wise. I know they are 'gathering' feedback, but I feel like the city always has some idea before they get things rolling consultation wise.

I'm way late posting this, but the draft concept plan is up and the city is looking for feedback until tomorrow, September 14:

Here are direct links to the overview, and the presentation slides that have more details (I struggled to find them on the page, so thought I'd link them here):

Sorry I didn't post earlier than a day before the deadline. 😓

Last edited:
What's the point on commenting -- by this stage the City has already held their engagement meetings with the community, broken attendees (I am guessing no more than 1% of the area population) up into small discussion groups, and force-fed them "ideas" -- "how many people would like this area for picnic tables -- raise your hands?" One thing that stands out to me in their inept description is the notion of a temporary warming hut for skiers and sledders -- what? they are going to haul it away in the summer? and return it the following winter? These administration dead-heads wouldn't recognize a good idea if they tripped over it. Any time one is suggested their automatic response is "we don't think that will fit in our budget!" City Planning can't seem to separate Capital Cost from Maintenance Costs and they certainly focus in on Costs instead of ways of engaging public with thoughtful infrastructure. (This is me going off the rails again 🚂)... poor Edmonton!

Back