News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Federal Politics

Congrats to Edmonton for electing progressive MPs! Edmonton is a progressive city that doesn't blindly vote for anything with a "C" sticker. This system needs to change to give us a more accurate and fair representation.

Congrats to Edmonton for electing progressive MPs! Edmonton is a progressive city that doesn't blindly vote for anything with a "C" sticker. This system needs to change to give us a more accurate and fair representation.
Here is what PM Trudeau is supporting: Ranked Voting. This will help Progressives somewhat but will be frightening to the Conservative party imo. That is why I don't see Ranked Voting as possible unless rammed through Parliament.

trudeau-liberals-ranked-ballot-1.6181216

I only wish that Ben Henderson had won. I have no idea why Tim Uppal keeps winning when he doesn't even live in Alberta anymore.

I only wish that Ben Henderson had won. I have no idea why Tim Uppal keeps winning when he doesn't even live in Alberta anymore.

There are lots of reasons to be frustrated with the Liberals but in terms of candidates who would have served Edmontonians well and have a proven track record of it, there's not many better candidates than Henderson. And he would have likely been a player in cabinet and a huge advocate for issues important to Edmonton. Missed opportunity, but Edmonton does not tend to vote strategic.

There are lots of reasons to be frustrated with the Liberals but in terms of candidates who would have served Edmontonians well and have a proven track record of it, there's not many better candidates than Henderson. And he would have likely been a player in cabinet and a huge advocate for issues important to Edmonton. Missed opportunity, but Edmonton does not tend to vote strategic.
If there had been more strategic voting Henderson would have won. Actually left wing candidates all around Edmonton kept on splitting the vote allowing the conservative candidate to get in.

If there had been more strategic voting Henderson would have won. Actually left wing candidates all around Edmonton kept on splitting the vote allowing the conservative candidate to get in.
A ranked ballot or a runoff election would have solved this issue.

Btw, for those who criticize the Liberals for not holding on to their promise of electoral reform, it needs a qualified majority (2/3) of parliament to approve it.
What happened is that the Liberals needed either the NDP, the greens and part of the Bloc, and the first two want a proportional representation system, instead of ranked ballots. The biggest issue is that the Liberals and the Bloc would never support proportional, since it would shrink their caucuses considerably, so we ended up in a stalemate: CPC, NDP and Green don't make up 2/3 of parliament, neither do LPC and Bloc.
I have to side with the LPC and the Bloc, here. Having proportional representation might seem fair, but it would end up distorting things more, with people becoming MPs with less votes in their ridings than others, etc... Or we'd end the riding system and adopt a proportional, province-wide race, which would harm the rural areas.

Ranked ballot or runoffs sound like the best way to go, but there needs to be more parliamentary consensus.

Now that Randy has been re-elected in Edmonton-Centre, he needs to do 2 things:
1) Demand a more powerful cabinet position. He needs to be more than just the token homosexual. Maybe something with business or the economy?
2) Remind Justin Trudeau that Edmonton is Alberta's provincial capital with a population of more than 1 million people and thus he should visit more often.

Now that Randy has been re-elected in Edmonton-Centre, he needs to do 2 things:
1) Demand a more powerful cabinet position. He needs to be more than just the token homosexual. Maybe something with business or the economy?
2) Remind Justin Trudeau that Edmonton is Alberta's provincial capital with a population of more than 1 million people and thus he should visit more

I can't believe your wrote that!

I can't believe your wrote that!
If this was sarcasm, I didn't get it. But I agree that Randy is MUCH more than his sexuality. However, this is not something that diminishes what he did in his role and the importance of it

Now, as for reminding JT that we're more deserving of attention than he gives, I agree 100% and I voiced this directly to Randy several times, as as to some of his staff.

I would love to see him in a high cabinet office, like Finance or Foreign Affairs, as he's über qualified and has the grit to be successful in this position.

Defeated Edmonton MP James Cummings will be chairing the review process on the Conservatives 2021 election campaign, which could impact O'Toole's future.

“With the support of our caucus, and the Conservative Party, James will conduct a thorough review of the national campaign. I'm very pleased that James has agreed to chair the review, and I look forward to his report, which will ideally be concluded by the end of this year,” Erin O’Toole said.

Back