News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Federal Politics

I'm just happy that there's a good chance that Edmonton will end up with half of it's MPs being progressive (Randy, Ben, Heather and Blake).
Getting rid of Diotte would make my evening, though!
Already voted :) Unfortunately no hope for progressive candidate in Riverbend. The majority of progressive votes are split between LIB & NDP. CON will get elected, again, with less than 50%. Thanks JT for not keeping his promise to change the electoral system.

I was talking about O’Toole not about whatism.
sorry… i thought we were talking about qualities a good prime minister should have and our thoughts on the primary respective candidates possessing potential leadership qualities vs simply being in a position to bully. you tabled your thoughts on one and i tabled my (and others) thoughts on the other. that wasn’t what-about-ism, it was meant as a valid comparison on one of the criteria we all need to use to vote with as much relevant information as possible to choose who to vote for.

I
sorry… i thought we were talking about qualities a good prime minister should have and our thoughts on the primary respective candidates possessing potential leadership qualities vs simply being in a position to bully. you tabled your thoughts on one and i tabled my (and others) thoughts on the other. that wasn’t what-about-ism, it was meant as a valid comparison on one of the criteria we all need to use to vote with as much relevant information as possible to choose who to vote for.
If you want to talk about Trudeau fine. We all know he only got his job because of his name but if that is what it takes to keep Harper, Manning and their lackies out of office I am all in. I would love to see Freeland as the leader of the Liberal party but is she electable? she is clearly the smartest person in the room and hard as nails. Unfortunately the amount of misogyny that still persists may prevent her from being elected.
when will Edmontonians realize that voting conservative gets us nowhere. When Harper was in power he barely acknowledged our existence. When Edmonton wanted to host Expo 2017 they refused to endorse our bid saying “fiscal restraint don’t you know “. I remember you saying in was Edmonton’s coming out party. Or the fiasco around the the national portrait gallery you must remember that. It was YYC or nobody. How many times does one have to be kicked in the nuts before one gets the message? Under the Liberals when Anne Mclellan or Sohl or Bossonnault we at least got a fair shake a seat at the table.
Make no mistake Harper is an existential threat to our democracy going down to Washington and behaving like he is still prime minister hob nobbing with all those Trump sycophants was just sickening. He is still running the show that is the only reason O’Toole got elected a good little soldier who is used to taking orders.

I

If you want to talk about Trudeau fine. We all know he only got his job because of his name but if that is what it takes to keep Harper, Manning and their lackies out of office I am all in. I would love to see Freeland as the leader of the Liberal party but is she electable? she is clearly the smartest person in the room and hard as nails. Unfortunately the amount of misogyny that still persists may prevent her from being elected.
when will Edmontonians realize that voting conservative gets us nowhere. When Harper was in power he barely acknowledged our existence. When Edmonton wanted to host Expo 2017 they refused to endorse our bid saying “fiscal restraint don’t you know “. I remember you saying in was Edmonton’s coming out party. Or the fiasco around the the national portrait gallery you must remember that. It was YYC or nobody. How many times does one have to be kicked in the nuts before one gets the message? Under the Liberals when Anne Mclellan or Sohl or Bossonnault we at least got a fair shake a seat at the table.
Make no mistake Harper is an existential threat to our democracy going down to Washington and behaving like he is still prime minister hob nobbing with all those Trump sycophants was just sickening. He is still running the show that is the only reason O’Toole got elected a good little soldier who is used to taking orders.
I agree with you on your assessment of christia freelund. if you haven't read her book is worth a quick read (i say quick because i was hoping for something with a bit more meat although i do support her position on a universal basic income). i like and miss ann mcclellan and could see supporting a party led by her as i could see myself supporting the now departed jody wilson-raboud or jane philpott (if you discern a thread there, i happen to agree with annamie paul that we would be better of with a female prime minister in the same way alberta was better off under notley). they had other options as well and we ended up with jt and three of his wedding party instead. :(

Hard to believe O'Toole thinks Alberta under Jason Kenney has handled Covid well, as he has previously stated repeatedly. And now, after Alberta is reluctantly forced to introduce new restrictions and a passport, he ducks the issue.

Meanwhile, Kenney has people kicked out of his party for thinking he hasn't done enough or who say he went too far. I think an O'Toole government would also have a lot of internal strife given the progressive components and the far right sides of the party.

Although meanwhile Trudeau and Singh are attacking Kenney on the Left and Bernier is attacking Kenney on the Right. LOL

I haven't heard Trudeau attack Kenney over Covid, but yes Bernier is attacking him on the right.

Here was his comment today:

Speaking on the campaign trail in Montreal on Thursday, Trudeau said while he’s not in the position to judge Alberta’s approach to containing the spread of COVID-19, the crisis there is proof that “leadership matters.”

The Liberal leader called the situation “heartbreaking” and said he has spoken with the Clerk of the Privy Council to ensure the province’s needs are met as it battles the fourth wave.

“Ventilators are on the way. Anything more we can do whether it’s sending more medical professionals as we did in Ontario a few months ago when they were overwhelmed, we’re going to make sure Albertans get the support,” he said.

Latest polls from 338 Canada shows the Liberals are now only leading in one riding in Alberta - Calgary Skyview. So if Liberals do form government, YYC would likely have a cabinet minister. The Liberal candidate in that riding is a current city councillor.

But if Conservatives win there will be several to choose in Alberta - not sure who Edmonton's strongest bet would be? Maybe James Cumming in Edmonton Centre? Uppal was a minister of state for multiculturalism under Harper but faced criticism for his bill to ban wearing the niqab while taking the oath of citizenship.

Back to that latest poll, Diotte has pulled in front of the NDP's Blake Desjarlais by a wider margin in Edmonton Griesbach. That's too bad. I wish the Liberal supporters in that riding would go to NDP since it is only a two party race there.

Last edited:
Latest polls from 338 Canada shows the Liberals are now only leading in one riding in Alberta - Calgary Skyview. So if Liberals do form government, YYC would likely have a cabinet minister. The Liberal candidate in that riding is a current city councillor.

But if Conservatives win there will be several to choose in Alberta - not sure who Edmonton's strongest bet would be? Maybe James Cumming in Edmonton Centre? Uppal was a minister of state for multiculturalism under Harper but faced criticism for his bill to ban wearing the niqab while taking the oath of citizenship.

Back to that latest poll, Diotte has pulled in front of the NDP's Blake Desjarlais by a wider margin in Edmonton Griesbach. That's too bad. I wish the Liberal supporters in that riding would go to NDP since it is only a two party race there.
They lead in one and are tied in 3. What the polls don't consider, though, is that the Liberals peaked strongly over the advanced polls weekend, which might give them the edge, as they currently have a more solidified vote (progressive voters are likelier to adopt mail-in and early voting).
I'd still bet in at least 2, possibly 3 LPC seats in AB: Calgary and Edmonton Centre and Calgary Skyview, with a smaller chance for Ben in Millwoods.

Breaking news: Randy has been elected for Edmonton Centre.
Summary for AB: 2 LPC (Edmonton Centre - Randy; Calgary Skyview - George); 2 NDP (Edmonton Strathcona - Heather; Edmonton Griesbach - Blake); 30 CPC (too many to count, sadly). I'm happy that we got 4 progressive seats, but sad that because of the "first past the post" we got at least 10 less progressive seats in the province, which would be much more representative of AB than roughly 90% of conservative seats.

All three had good qualities and James did a lot of good work in Ottawa but it will be important to have a seat at the table.

All three had good qualities and James did a lot of good work in Ottawa but it will be important to have a seat at the table.
It was a well fought campaign, and different from other ridings, we rarely saw any personal, below-the-belt attacks, which goes to show how well served Edmonton Centre was, in terms of candidates.
Now, let's hope the expectations come true and Randy becomes a cabinet minister, and seats at the big boys table.

Back