News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Federal Politics

Conservatives pledging money for $1.1B expansion of metro line from Blatchford to Castle Downs.

Iveson doesn't seem too excited by it. I don't imagine the province is either.

In response to the Conservative platform commitment, Mayor Don Iveson said the Metro Line plan is “premature” without matching funding from the provincial government. The next council would also need to confirm that it’s the first priority and commit city dollars before construction could go ahead.

“But it is good to see the Conservatives committed to mass transit,” Iveson said to Postmedia.

I would have liked the reporter to ask the province for its comment and commitment to matching this right away. But of course, they did not.

What isn't pledged is how this will be funded by the Conservatives. This will likely be a P3 akin to the Valley Line SE LRT that was mandated by the Harper government.

without going into your rationale in detail, i would still take a veteran captain sea king navigator named o'toole over the blackface o'fool who currently has the job. as for not being young enough to relate, o'toole is 19 months younger than o-fool.
My issue is much more with the party platform than with the man himself. He has A LOT of trouble keeping his own party in line, and he doesn't even hold a lot of power yet.
And his party's platform is a deep dive into the same stuff that we're seeing provincially, in Alberta.
As someone who came here with zero knowledge of either side and had to educate myself about it, it seems to me that there's a lot of unjustified resentment towards Justin Trudeau, a lot of people transferring their issues with his dad to him and a little bit of a "auto-pilot" anti-LPC going on in Alberta. Not saying that it is necessarily your case, Ken, (which I don't believe it is) but there's quite a few people that vote conservative (or non-Liberal) just for the sake of it, going to the extreme of calling them Communists and such, which seems a little bit too much...

without going into your rationale in detail, i would still take a veteran captain sea king navigator named o'toole over the blackface o'fool who currently has the job. as for not being young enough to relate, o'toole is 19 months younger than o-fool.
Will be a tight race. I question O'Toole's tactics this final week. He was in a press conference to announce a policy and as the reporter noted, of the 20 minutes he was at the podium, two minutes was on his policy and the rest talking about Trudeau is a fool. Obviously their strategists feel that's the best way to go. Many people disappointed in Trudeau to be sure, me too in several ways, but O'Toole definitely seems more comfortable talking about that than his party's platform. Could work. Not for me.

Last edited:
without going into your rationale in detail, i would still take a veteran captain sea king navigator named o'toole over the blackface o'fool who currently has the job. as for not being young enou gh to relate, o'toole is 19 months younger than o- i
Only the fool O’Toole would take his instructions from the gun lobby.

Only the fool O’Toole would take his instructions from the gun lobby.
The guy can't even control his own caucus, let alone run a country!
People might not like JT, he might LOOK all nice and calm, but he rules the LPC with iron fists, hahaha

One of the problems with O’Toole is he has the opinion of the last person he spoke to. Must be all that military training he got. Just because someone was in the military and learned to follow instructions doesn’t make them a good leader. From my experience of ex-military people I have dealt with they have a hard relating to civilian protocol of negotiation and compromise simply want to bully.

One of the problems with O’Toole is he has the opinion of the last person he spoke to. Must be all that military training he got. Just because someone was in the military and learned to follow instructions doesn’t make them a good leader. From my experience of ex-military people I have dealt with they have a hard relating to civilian protocol of negotiation and compromise simply want to bully.
maybe you should ask jody wilson-raboud or jane philpot or celina caesar-chavannes or even warren kinsella - liberal insiders all (at least at one point) - about the difference between good leadership any bullying to get one's own way and on which side of that jt lives.

My issue is much more with the party platform than with the man himself. He has A LOT of trouble keeping his own party in line, and he doesn't even hold a lot of power yet.
And his party's platform is a deep dive into the same stuff that we're seeing provincially, in Alberta.
As someone who came here with zero knowledge of either side and had to educate myself about it, it seems to me that there's a lot of unjustified resentment towards Justin Trudeau, a lot of people transferring their issues with his dad to him and a little bit of a "auto-pilot" anti-LPC going on in Alberta. Not saying that it is necessarily your case, Ken, (which I don't believe it is) but there's quite a few people that vote conservative (or non-Liberal) just for the sake of it, going to the extreme of calling them Communists and such, which seems a little bit too much...
no question that i dislike jt and what he stands for (or more accurately what he virtue signals and doesn't really stand for) and never have. it's not an autopilot anti-lpc thing, it's my assessment of the man and his performance. for what it's worth, i probably hold our current provincial premier in similar esteem and would trade him for rachel notley in a hearbeat.

when i think about jody wilson-raboud and jane philpott and marc garneau and even mark carney or christia freeland and the fact we got jt instead... i can only shake my head in wonder.

is o'toole and his party promising less than the jt and his party in some areas? perhaps. but i'll take a promise fulfilled over a bigger promise not kept any day.

do both parties have some things in their respective platforms i prefer over the other? yes, so it's definitely a balancing act, an art rather than a science and i don't mind saying that jt is such a self-centred lightweight that there isn't much his party can offer that is sufficient to counter that in my eyes.

is o'toole and his party promising less than the jt and his party in some areas? perhaps. but i'll take a promise fulfilled over a bigger promise not kept any day.

The most notable promise has to do specifically with the environment and climate change.

When Canada first signed the Paris Agreement, it committed to cutting emissions of greenhouse gas to 30 per cent below 2005 levels by 2030 (which the country is on target to surpass). Earlier this year, the Liberals raised Canada's target to between 40 and 45 per cent. NDP even higher.

O'Toole wants to go back to 30 per cent (which we are already on target to surpass) because as a man of integrity he does not want to over promise on something and not be able to deliver.

I don't buy that. At the party's policy convention in March, it voted against adding green-friendly statements to the party's policy book — including a line stating that the party believes "climate change is real" and is "willing to act."

The real reasons O'Toole is not in line with higher targets is his party base, the impact he feels it will have in the Prairies, and losing more support to People's Party of Canada, who don't believe in climate change. O''Toole is making a calculated move to not go too aggressive on the climate to lose right wing voters. And as a strategy, I can understand that. But is it because he doesn't want to over promise and under deliver? Ha - I think we know the answer to that.

Last edited:

In Edmonton Mill Woods, Liberal Ben Henderson is polling 2 per cent above Conservative incumbent Tim Uppal, who defeated Sohi in 2019. Today, Mayor Iveson endorsed Henderson while remaining non-partisan in terms of political parties saying the long time councillor would be Edmonton's best voice in parliament.

In Edmonton Centre, former Liberal MP Randy Boissonault is polling just ahead of current Conservative MP James Cummings.

And in Edmonton Griesbach, Conservative incumbent Kerry Diotte is polling 2 per cent above NDP candidate Blake Desjarlais.

Will be an interesting night in Canada and Edmonton.

Last edited:
maybe you should ask jody wilson-raboud or jane philpot or celina caesar-chavannes or even warren kinsella - liberal insiders all (at least at one point) - about the difference between good leadership any bullying to get one's own way and on which side of that jt lives.
I was talking about O’Toole not about whatism.

The most notable promise has to do specifically with the environment and climate change.

When Canada first signed the Paris Agreement, it committed to cutting emissions of greenhouse gas to 30 per cent below 2005 levels by 2030 (which the country is on target to surpass). Earlier this year, the Liberals raised Canada's target to between 40 and 45 per cent. NDP even higher.

O'Toole wants to go back to 30 per cent (which we are already on target to surpass) because as a man of integrity he does not want to over promise on something and not be able to deliver.

I don't buy that. At the party's policy convention in March, it voted against adding green-friendly statements to the party's policy book — including a line stating that the party believes "climate change is real" and is "willing to act."

The real reasons O'Toole is not in line with higher targets is his party base, the impact he feels it will have in the Prairies, and losing more support to People's Party of Canada, who don't believe in climate change. O''Toole is making a calculated move to not go too aggressive on the climate to lose right wing voters. And as a strategy, I can understand that. But is it because he doesn't want to over promise and under deliver? Ha - I think we know the answer to that.
i'm not sure where you're getting your numbers...

Climate Action Tracker–an independent scientific analysis group–stated that prior to the pandemic, Canada was far from meeting its insufficient NDC under current or planned policies. They expect Canada’s GGEs to fall to 13% in 2020 but given the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, they foresee little support for a green recovery. With estimated emissions projections in the 603-630 Mt carbon dioxide range, Canada will likely miss its 2030 NDC by 15-20%..

source: https://www.climatescorecard.org/20...as-greenhouse-gas-emission-levels-since-1990/

if you're going to miss your targets by 20 - 30%, i suppose you might as well miss them by 40 - 50%.

In Edmonton Mill Woods, Liberal Ben Henderson is polling 2 per cent above Conservative incumbent Tim Uppal, who defeated Sohi in 2019. Today, Mayor Iveson endorsed Henderson while remaining non-partisan in terms of political parties saying the long time councillor would be Edmonton's best voice in parliament.

In Edmonton Centre, former Liberal MP Randy Boissonault is polling just ahead of current Conservative MP James Cummings.

And in Edmonton Griesbach, Conservative incumbent Kerri Diotte is polling 2 per cent above NDP candidate Blake Desjarlais.

Will be an interesting night in Canada and Edmonton.
I'm just happy that there's a good chance that Edmonton will end up with half of it's MPs being progressive (Randy, Ben, Heather and Blake).
Getting rid of Diotte would make my evening, though!

Back