News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

FC Edmonton New Stadium Discussion

_urbanite

Member Bio
Reaction score
Random idea here, but I think it would be great if Katz Group purchased FC Edmonton (recently put up for sale) and built say a 7500 seat stadium for them in phase 2 with condos, rentals and retail filling in whatever space is left over. It would really go a long way in further defining the ID as a true sports & entertainment district

Last edited:
Random idea here, but I think it would be great if Katz Group purchased FC Edmonton (recently put up for sale) and built say a 7500 seat stadium for them in phase 2 with condos, rentals and retail filling in whatever space is left over. It would really go a long way in further defining the ID as a true sports & entertainment district
Now that's an idea

^^^^ 12,000 is still too small -- if it is going to be world class it would have to be 5 X that size. Even at that it is still a good idea -- it could even have a moveable roof.

What other uses would gather that size of crowd that isnt already covered by Rogers Place or Commonwealth?

^^^^ Industrial Trade shows (think farm and forestry machinery; electric aircraft (future oriented)), First Nation Pow-wows, all manner of large attendance venues that might want to be weather protected including mid-winter concerts that draw greater attendance than can be handled by Rogers Place... the imagination should have no bounds. And if it therefore was able to also accommodate things like X games, Moto-cross and other extreme sports it would help put Edmonton on the map in ways that are not currently viable. And if it subverted the prominence of Commonwealth Stadium in the same manner that Rogers Place changed the significance of the Coliseum, well so be it. There are lots of other potential uses for that site.

Not sure how accurate this article is, but there were rumours that the Oilers expressed interest in the team. Could become a reality now that a former OEG marketing exec is the new FC Edmonton Prez.
Although I'm not sure Phase 2 site would be a good place for a stadium, or if OEG buying the team would do the team any good lol.

On the Northern Futbol Podcast, Canadian journalist Thomas Nef had stated that the Edmonton Oilers launched a takeover bid that was rejected by the CPL’s head office earlier this year. The club dismissed the statement as inaccurate, though it appears the Oilers may have expressed interest.

7500 is too small. Useless for FIFA games unless grass. Make it 12000 and a covered stadium with grass field.

My thinking behind that number was based on their current attendance numbers but also taking into consideration probable attendance growth too. That number may be more on the conservative side, but the stadium could certainly be designed in a way in which it could be expanded to say double that seating number in the future if need be.

Back