News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

FC Edmonton - CPL

Very sad for the soccer community, I hope the CPL is able to return sooner rather than later and it's promising that there are conversations with potential world class parties.

With that said, I wonder what the way forward is in terms of a stadium. Can the Clarke site be salvaged at all? What kind of renovations would be necessary to facilitate what the league would be looking for? I wonder if the University would be willing to partner on renovations to Foote Field. Multi purpose field facility with multiple tenants could be useful. Maybe with MacEwan to give them a home facility, or maybe all three? I somehow doubt a greenfield type of facility would work anywhere else in the City because the investment required would be much more significant in terms of land acquisition. Can't see Commonwealth being an option long term, it's just too cavernous.

At the end of the day it will be important to find the right owners who are willing to invest in the market (not that the Faths weren't) but are also able to partner with the City or another third party to make things work. Marketing will be important and it's a shame they won't be able to take advantage of a "World Cup" bump (both from the current world cup but also from the funding and facilities that Edmonton has missed out on)

I believe Re/Max field conversion was discussed once upon a time but I think probably safe to say that isn’t likely right now. Maybe could partner with U of A and so something on south campus but I don’t think they would be wanting to chip in a ton as their spectator capacity requirements aren’t huge.

South campus area would be most central and it has an LRT station there. If only we could see a brand new dedicated soccer stadium built. I am hopeful that these next three years can see more investment in soccer nationwide building up men's and women's soccer to higher and higher levels.

Reactions: God

Back