Exhibition Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Yes, our city planners often seem to have a strange attraction to flawed plans especially if they involve spending more money.

So, the logic as it goes here, is the extra distance for people to walk to the Expo Centre is not supposed to be a problem, but somehow it would be for people living in the area.

Maybe just leave it as it is rather than spend a lot of money to change it and hope they will come.

This seems to be a case of Planners using LRT stops to entice development -- quite adamantly, I say this does not work. The entire plan is flawed in the extreme.
It does work in other cities. Problem is, it's cheaper and easier to develop greenfield here so there's no incentive to go through the hassle.

Yes, our city planners often seem to have a strange attraction to flawed plans especially if they involve spending more money.

So, the logic as it goes here, is the extra distance for people to walk to the Expo Centre is not supposed to be a problem, but somehow it would be for people living in the area.

Maybe just leave it as it is rather than spend a lot of money to change it and hope they will come.
The average person will go to the events center once or twice a year outside of employees (who often won't change jobs just based on an LRT walk).

Someone living there will have low tolerance for walking as there are loads of other apartments they could rent within a 3minute walk of a station. Notably all of stadium area just south. It will be very hard to sell those developments with close LRT for daily use.

Daily resident use trumps annual tourist/events visits id say

Funny thinking of all the money Northlands spent over the decades buying the properties around 79th st and 113th ave, just to resell them back now.

JLL is selling three acres of land in the Parkdale neighbourhood. It is privately owned, but falls within the Exhibition Lands planning framework, and is currently zoned for "large scale mixed-use residential developments." The brochure is dated March 2022, and the listing price is $3.950,000.

Exhibition lands 1.PNG
Exhibition Lands 2.PNG
Exhibition Lands 3.PNG
Exhibition Lands 4.PNG

had to google maps this, but it's the empty city block south of 118, just east of the dip for Coliseum station, across the street from that 1-story building immediately west of the LRT. the site is visible from the platform.
frontage onto 118, road access on all 4 sides, a 60-second walk to transit, and a giant height and FAR? damn. I wish i had $4mil lol.

I used to ride by those lots every day wondering when (or if) something would ever get built there. It's been parking lots ever since I can remember. Current owners probably made money hand over fist when the Oilers were still playing at Rexall Place and other events rolled into town. Those days are long gone, so time to sell I guess.

It's a rough area to build in, but it's also probably the most important development site for Cromdale. Would be nice to see a Stadium Yards type of development here.

Back