News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Energy Square - Reclad/Update - 10109 – 106th Street NW / 10550 – Jasper Avenue

… Finally I am surprised they changed the location of the primary door to Jasper - but I assume it is to capture more space for the restaurants? I guess facing the park (actually facing Boston Pizza) was less important.
there was/is a previous version of a main floor reconfiguration that extended the actual lobby to jasper (as opposed to providing access through a cafe).

the primary benefit was to provide decent handicap access which currently comes from the loading dock at the lane. there is an epcor vault that precluded reconfiguring the existing entry.

secondary benefits would have been an ability for the building to acquire a jasper avenue address; the potential for some of main floor to extend to the sidewalk (the parkade/foundations already extend that far; adding a potential two story atrium space outside the existing tower footprint (its pretensioned precast slab floors preclude that within the existing footprint)…

what’s being proposed here is - to me - just strange when there is so much potential to be really creative instead of hanging problematic gingerbread over the existing curtainwall leading to a really awkward mashup of incompatible and poorly serviced spaces…

There was interest in a larger restaurant there, but it fell through sometime ago now.

Another cafe will be good and compliment the area.
The area needs another coffee shop about as much as it needs another dental clinic. The area is already overserved by existing, high-quality establishments. All this would do is dilute clientele making it less viable for everyone.

Unless there's something fundamentally unique about this cafe, I'm not sure it's necessary or sustainable.

I'm expecting a Dalla light 'cafe', not a Coffee Bureau.

But I get your point that if it it just another coffee shop that it might hinder rather than help.

^It is more of a roastery and wine bar, so will be another great late night option in the area hopefully.
Yup, Antonio will finally have his own roastery for his beans, as he's been outsourcing them to a roaster in Calgary since he started Da Capo. There is no coffee roastery Downtown (closest are On the Edge in Boyle Street and Iconoclast at the Oliver Exchange) so this will be a first in that regard.

Speaking of Bar Oro...assuming temporary space. This is the Vignettes space in Capital Apartments.

IMG-5008.JPG

It would be really good if they could get something on the main floor soon, that sign has been up for a while now.

I had looked at a space there several years ago, but it wasn't for me - old dental offices with a warren of tiny spaces, but it looks like there are a lot of spaces that would be the right size for smaller businesses or organizations.

Back