News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

EllisDon to Lead Prairie Link High-Speed Rail Partners - Edm-RD-Cal

I have no idea why you guys are arguing about stops at 23rd Ave or Century Park. I thought there were supposed to be stops at just downtown and EIA. Adding more stops defeats the purpose of high speed rail, don't you think?

I have no idea why you guys are arguing about stops at 23rd Ave or Century Park. I thought there were supposed to be stops at just downtown and EIA. Adding more stops defeats the purpose of high speed rail, don't you think?
They’re proposing 2 different services. Commuter rail in both cities would subsidize the high speed rail. The HSR trains wouldn’t stop at 34 Ave or Airdrie.

I completely disagree. Not every train has to stop at every stop, lol. And the density will come, that's the point. That's why the WLRT is taking the route it's taking as well. Smart planning
Generally, I agree, and I also recognize this will still be in city limits, but standing on a platform with trains passing can be quite intimidating... and thrilling :) Source: stood next to a 350 km/h Chinese HSR passing by.

I don't mind that location, be nice to have a direct indoor connection to the Government Centre LRT station. It does seem like a fairly narrow site though.
I once saw a brilliant concept for a station here, but can't find it. No one in the HLB thread could either =/ #63

the Calgary-Banff train is apparently making plans to share ROW with Prairie Link - see point 3 in the second section of this article, about 1/4 of the way down. The article says E-C HSR will be completed several years after the C-B project, but the Calgary-Banff train will be built with HSR in mind, so that when the time comes, the HSR will be able to share track and stations at Calgary International Airport and Calgary Downtown. the article also makes a point of saying the two projects will feed each other, improving the financial viability of both. the Calgary-Banff project is functioning as a P3.
Idk, i was just happy to see a reference to E-C HSR in this article. The Banff project is moving fast and getting a lot of media/political attention, while Prairie Link (at least to my eyes, I am not as plugged in to projects like this) seems a lot quieter. the integration being planned sounds ideal; connecting Edmonton to Banff via these two trains makes the whole thing seem that much better, especially for those of us without cars!

It's a news release and perhaps I'm being cynical, but I have to think a likely reason they're mentioning HSR to Edmonton is to put added pressure on the province to fund the $10 million next stage of study or else the project dies.

"See? It's not just a Calgary-Banff project, it's for the whole province!"

I know I'm getting way tooo ahead of myself here but once the line is completed, would a high speed rail extension to Fort McMurray and Lethbridge be the next logical steps?

Well I'd be happy with Edm/Red Deer/Cal high speed.
Other lines:
Cal to Banff regular rail, or high speed if the will is there.
Regional regular rail Edm/Leduc/Beaumont/Camrose
Cal/Lethbridge/Medicine Hat
Cal/Airdrie

Back