7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

EllisDon to Lead Prairie Link High-Speed Rail Partners - Edm-RD-Cal

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
EllisDon to Lead Prairie Link High-Speed Rail Partners

Edmonton, AB, July 8, 2021—EllisDon, a world-leading construction services and infrastructure development company, announced today that they have formed a partnership to advance the development of high-speed rail connecting Edmonton, Red Deer, and Calgary in Alberta, Canada. EllisDon and its team took the initiative to propose the project within the Government of Alberta’s Unsolicited Proposal Guidelines and Framework.

"The notion of high-speed rail — a proven technology around the world — connecting Edmonton, Red Deer, and Calgary in Alberta is not new, but we believe that its time has come. We have built a team with both the capacity and faith in the future of our province to advance it in a meaningful way for Albertans," said Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson, Director with EllisDon Capital and Project Director for Prairie Link.

Prairie Link has secured a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) from Alberta Transportation laying the foundation for cooperatively advancing project development. With an estimated capital cost of $9 billion, the project will be among the largest and most defining nation-building transportation projects in Alberta's history.

EllisDon to Lead Prairie Link High-Speed Rail Partners

Edmonton, AB, July 8, 2021—EllisDon, a world-leading construction services and infrastructure development company, announced today that they have formed a partnership to advance the development of high-speed rail connecting Edmonton, Red Deer, and Calgary in Alberta, Canada. EllisDon and its team took the initiative to propose the project within the Government of Alberta’s Unsolicited Proposal Guidelines and Framework.

"The notion of high-speed rail — a proven technology around the world — connecting Edmonton, Red Deer, and Calgary in Alberta is not new, but we believe that its time has come. We have built a team with both the capacity and faith in the future of our province to advance it in a meaningful way for Albertans," said Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson, Director with EllisDon Capital and Project Director for Prairie Link.

Prairie Link has secured a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) from Alberta Transportation laying the foundation for cooperatively advancing project development. With an estimated capital cost of $9 billion, the project will be among the largest and most defining nation-building transportation projects in Alberta's history.

I like it more than the Hyperloop, but I fear it might end up killing YEG for good :(

I would say that we can all agree that it would be more negative than positive.

Personally I'm more concerned with our overall economy than our airport, but also no I don't think I would say we can all agree to that. Given the distance between Edmonton and Calgary it's possible to have two healthy airports even with a rail link. Even if all the stars align this thing won't be finished for 10 years and a ton of stuff can happen between now and then. It depends on how Edmonton and Calgary's economies develop between now and then, and after any rail link is completed.

I think this has the potential to be great for our province. We have such a car-centric culture, and I think that normalizing rail commute as a normal thing will be good for the fight against climate change, and potentially even shift attitudes regarding vehicle ownership among some urban dwellers. This could also be good for accessibility; giving people another way to travel elsewhere in the province without needing a vehicle. I personally wouldn't be willing to take a bus to Calgary if I didn't need to, but I would be very willing to leave my car at home and take the train instead. I imagine that many people who rely on bus and plane connections to go from Calgary-Edmonton (and Red Deer) would appreciate having this option as well.

Omg... This is so wild.

I know that this could just be the now 4th or 5th time the high speed rail idea is resurrected and left to die again, but I believe this time it's different .Now we have 2 companies with different private proposals and technologies competing for this line! Even more interesting is how this came literally 2 days after VIA's announcement for HFR. I don't know about you guys, but to me something's stirring up here!!

Last edited:
I like it more than the Hyperloop, but I fear it might end up killing YEG for good :(
I would say that we can all agree that it would be more negative than positive.
What are you guys referring to? The whole airport situation? I don't think, even with a link like this, that our airport is going to be harmed or tossed aside. It's still a 300 km difference in between 2 big cities which both have a basis for an international airport.

What are you guys referring to? The whole airport situation? I don't think, even with a link like this, that our airport is going to be harmed or tossed aside. It's still a 300 km difference in between 2 big cities which both have a basis for an international airport.
it has nothing to do with an airport and everything to do with flights (or the lack thereof). if you're unsure of how that works, look at mirabel or yyj...

I also don't really understand, but I will say I am fully supportive of European policies to limit - or even ban - short-haul flights where there is a rail alternative. YEG-YYC never made sense to me anyways :) I'm sure this won't make YYC a flight "hub" for Edmonton more than it already is.

L
I also don't really understand, but I will say I am fully supportive of European policies to limit - or even ban - short-haul flights where there is a rail alternative. YEG-YYC never made sense to me anyways :) I'm sure this won't make YYC a flight "hub" for Edmonton more than it already is.
Electric planes would make sense on this route.

L

Electric planes would make sense on this route.
I disagree. Checking in, security, and waiting at the airports almost makes the times equivalent themselves. And on an energy basis, planes are less efficient because 1. they lose a lot of energy due to the change in altitude (they intentionally create drag on descents to keep speed low), and 2. they travel much faster (drag force is quadratically proportional to speed). Oh, plus electric planes are still to-come! I certainly think they'd make sense if there weren't a dedicated train line, but if we have the choice, I'd take HSR.

Adding some sources on European thinking: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56716708. It's also some European governments' policies to limit business travel on planes where possible. These can be more ambitious than blanket ones.

One more thing – the Amsterdam to Paris route now has a partnership between Air France, KLM, and the train operator. You can buy tickets for trains on the airline's website. That sort of integration is really cool to see; I wonder if VIA, GO, and our airlines might ever play nice together like that!

Back