News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton's Population

Kosy123

Member Bio
Reaction score
So I just found this out while sleuthing across news articles and the Alberta Government website, but according to StatsCan estimates the city of Edmonton had already crossed the 1,000,000 benchmark!

Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 11.14.33 AM.png

So I just found this out while sleuthing across news articles and the Alberta Government website, but according to StatsCan estimates the city of Edmonton had already crossed the 1,000,000 benchmark!

View attachment 297112
Also worth noticing that, according do StatsCan, we've beaten the 1 million mark in 2018 and surpassed Ottawa to become the 4th most populous in 2020 (1.047 million vs 1.025 million).

Also worth noticing that, according do StatsCan, we've beaten the 1 million mark in 2018 and surpassed Ottawa to become the 4th most populous in 2020 (1.047 million vs 1.025 million).

If that's the case then in true Edmonton fashion it's not being played up that well.
This news story from the 2019 city census though said 972k but due to some people not filling out the census, it's probably more like 992k.
Not sure if or how much the city grew in 2020. Seems to be some conflict in numbers between this and the statscan reporting anyway.

This is how Ottawa showcased it had surpassed 1M.

I don't remember seeing or hearing anything in Edmonton.

Where do y’all see Edmonton population wise in 2040? How does it compare with Calgary? How dense will Edmonton be? Where do yall see our transit and active transportation at that point? How does that compare with Calgary and other Canadian cities?

We're pushing 1.6 million now...

By 2040 I would expect 2.2 million

I don't think Ottawa will overtake after being surpassed by Edmonton, we're solidly either #4 or #5 in Canada.

In all likelihood Calgary will continue growing quickly, but there is a bit more risk there with lack of diversification. Edmonton will see a lot of growth from the major petrochemical and hydrogen projects being built and operated.

If that's the case then in true Edmonton fashion it's not being played up that well.
This news story from the 2019 city census though said 972k but due to some people not filling out the census, it's probably more like 992k.
Not sure if or how much the city grew in 2020. Seems to be some conflict in numbers between this and the statscan reporting anyway.

This is how Ottawa showcased it had surpassed 1M.

I don't remember seeing or hearing anything in Edmonton.
In part, it may be the timing of it this. I think the other part is the so called national media really ignores Edmonton. They have for quite a while, but I have to say it has gotten much worse in the several years.

Ottawa might still get a bit more national coverage because it is the capital of the country.

CMA Edmonton growth rate factors compared to CMA Calgary growth factors is very revealing. First this definition refresher: "Are you wondering what is the difference between Inter-Provincial and Intra-provincial moving? For example, moving within BC is an Intra-provincial move, or within province moving. However, Inter-provincial moving is between provinces, for example, BC and ON."

Charts from StatsCan for 2020. Boxes at top right in charts. Data charts take a minute to load.

Calgary: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/71-607-x/71-607-x2020003-eng.htm
Edmonton: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/71-607-x/71-607-x2020003-eng.htm

Certainly confirms that Edmonton has had a lot more people moving to the City within the province. Possible that immigrants are being artificially drawn to Calgary due to over-exposure in media coverage, then when they arrive, finding that there really aren't many opportunities and moving to Edmonton.

Certainly confirms that Edmonton has had a lot more people moving to the City within the province. Possible that immigrants are being artificially drawn to Calgary due to over-exposure in media coverage, then when they arrive, finding that there really aren't many opportunities and moving to Edmonton.
I think something like this is happening. I know someone who immigrated, moved to Toronto initially, then to Calgary for a couple of years and then here were he has been now for a number of years.

It is interesting that Edmonton gets a lot of the within province moving. Those people would probably be more knowledgeable and not so influenced by what gets portrayed in the national media or by people who have very limited knowledge of the city.

100% agree that Calgary has more of the glitz and glamour of the mountains, head offices, etc... but Edmonton seems to have a bit more culture and community that people enjoy about it. I say this as a proud Edmontonian so it's not entirely objective.

As for the population in 2040 I won't put a number on it but I think continued economic diversification and affordable cost of living will continue to be a huge draw.

If the major cities (ie. Toronto and Vancouver) continue to be so unaffordable for a few more years, I think a lot of young people will give up on them and start moving elsewhere in Canada in larger numbers.

To some extent this is already happening with some with people moving east to places like Nova Scotia. I think they will also start to realize how affordable it is in western Canada. Of course we are a much bigger city than any in Atlantic Canada, so might also appeal to some people not looking for a much smaller city. I think we also have a long term advantage as our growth is not that constrained, like say Vancouver which is very hemmed in by sea, mountains and flood plains.

It is a bit drier climate around Calgary, eventually water constraints will become a factor there.

I agree. I am a believer in statistics, but you have to really understand what they are saying and not misrepresent them.

For instance, in this case it appears the measure is growth. I suppose it is possible, but I doubt more actual people are moving to North Bay than say much bigger places like Quebec City or Calgary. If the measure is growth, a place that had 110 moves to it (vs. 100 in the prior period) would come out ahead of a place that 120 moves to it (vs 115) in the previous period because of the higher growth rate. Yet the latter place would actually have more actual people moving to it. .

Sure, it is valid to look at momentum, but it can also be a fickle thing. You can see that in the brackets, some cities that were higher before (Vancouver at 23 vs. 7) are much lower now. There can be a quite a bit of turn over from period to period using this measure.

Also interestingly, neither of Canada's two largest cities show up in this list. However, I am happy to see Owen Sound on the list. It is a long way from Toronto, but it is a very nice place, seems about the size of Spruce Grove/Stony Plain and has been around that size for a long time.

Back