Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I neither like nor dislike it

• I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
I was taking a look over the Dub Architects' website and stumbled across this proposal. It says it's current, but they also say the same thing about the defunct Nordic Spas, so maybe take it with a grain of salt. Regardless, it's an interesting design.

It's definitely old. There's a women's building futures building in that spot, but it looks nowhere close to that rendering. The building looks like it would be right at home in nisku...

^The one that's there currently is a reface of a much older building. Judging by the first render, which shows the existing building to the south, I'm assuming this proposal would be located about here, on the site of the HiQSoft building and old Happy Harbour, which'll be torn down anyways for the Valley Line West.

omg YES PLEASE Dub! Grace us with this beautiful project as soon as you can 😃

Dub-Architects-Women-Building-Futures_01.jpg

Dub-Architects-Women-Building-Futures_01.jpgDub-Architects-Women-Building-Futures_06 (1).jpgDub-Architects-Women-Building-Futures_03.jpgDub-Architects-Women-Building-Futures_04.jpgDub-Architects-Women-Building-Futures_02.jpg

Gleaned from the renderings is the evident use of Cross-Laminated-Timber (CLT) -- which is good to see since Alberta "could" be an industry leader in this field -- it possesses a huge tract of softwood lumber, the preferred material resource for CLT. Also, @Daveography, on Dubs site are renderings of the new Fort Edmonton Entry -- has this been noted in some thread on this site?

I think this demo is more related to the Valley Line West work, but still relevant:

Description: To demolish three interconnected commercial buildings
Permit date: September 18, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class A
Address: 10344 - 107 STREET NW
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
Zoning: UW

If I am not mistaken the City purchased the Happy Harbour building didn't they? I remember the owners of that building and the one behind it were shopping it as it came across our desk. I'm thinking that WBF might have looked at this and retained Dub to come up with a concept before the City acquired it.

@cmd uw According to the brief on Dub's site, it is designed to incorporate a TPSS for the Valley Line West. That tells me they knew the city would need to expropriate the property first.

It could still be just conceptual regardless, of course.

Back